Required dependencies for Ubuntu 22.04; error when compiling with -Xswiftc -static-executable

On the Getting Started page the requirements are only listed for Ubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu 20.04, but not for Ubuntu 22.04. What are the requirements (dependencies) for Ubuntu 22.04?

Under Ubuntu 22.04 I get the following error when compiling with swift build -c release -Xswiftc -static-executable, maybe this is a consequence of having installed the wrong library versions (I installed the ones listed for Ubuntu 20.04)?

/usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/lib/swift_static/linux/libswift_Concurrency.a(TaskGroup.cpp.o):TaskGroup.cpp:function swift::TaskGroup::offer(swift::AsyncTask*, swift::AsyncContext*): error: undefined reference to 'std::__throw_bad_array_new_length()'

From the docker file:

apt-get install \
    binutils \
    git \
    unzip \
    gnupg2 \
    libc6-dev \
    libcurl4-openssl-dev \
    libedit2 \
    libgcc-9-dev \
    libpython3.8 \
    libsqlite3-0 \
    libstdc++-9-dev \
    libxml2-dev \
    libz3-dev \
    pkg-config \
    tzdata \
    zlib1g-dev

..but of course, this should be documented on the Getting Started page.

But the undefined reference to 'std::__throw_bad_array_new_length()' error is still not resolved.

Update:

I found some answers concerning the error there, but do not know how to proceed.

You could work around this by using -Xswiftc -enable-experimental-cxx-interop. The problem is that you need to link the C++ runtime. That would require that you either:

1. use clang++ to link - which is what enabling the C++ interop will accomplish
  2. correctly explicitly inject the linkage at the right location for the linker driver (clang). This is far more complicated and requires that you are also able to resolve the circularity between the runtime ABI support (the default being libsupc++) and the runtime (the default being libstdc++), as well as the transitive closure for its dependency (e.g. the unwinder - defaulting to libgcc, although if there are any shared libraries involved anywhere, be aware that you may need to switch to libgcc_s). The language runtimes should be linked at a specific position in the invocation as the traditional Unix style linking is order dependent (unlike Windows linking semantics).

This is not an issue of installed dependencies, though that may become an issue once you enable the c++ interop to ensure that the necessary static variants of the needed libraries are available for linking.

Thank you for your answer. For reference: The project that I am trying to compile is my "SwiftHelloPython" demo.

I tried using swift build -c release -Xswiftc -static-executable -Xswiftc -enable-experimental-cxx-interop, but it failed with a stack dump (with libraries as listed above):

Stack dump
swift build -c release -Xswiftc -static-executable -Xswiftc -enable-experimental-cxx-interop

Building for production...

remark: Incremental compilation has been disabled: it is not compatible with whoremark: Incremental compilation has been disabled: it is not compatible with whoPlease submit a bug report (https://swift.org/contributing/#reporting-bugs) and include the project and the crash backtrace.

Stack dump:

0. Program arguments: /usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-frontend -frontend -c /home/stefan/projects/SwiftHelloPython/Sources/HelloPython/Main.swift -emit-module-path /home/stefan/projects/SwiftHelloPython/.build/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/HelloPython.swiftmodule -emit-module-doc-path /home/stefan/projects/SwiftHelloPython/.build/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/HelloPython.swiftdoc -emit-module-source-info-path /home/stefan/projects/SwiftHelloPython/.build/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/HelloPython.swiftsourceinfo -emit-dependencies-path /home/stefan/projects/SwiftHelloPython/.build/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/HelloPython.build/HelloPython.d -target x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu -disable-objc-interop -enable-cxx-interop -I /home/stefan/projects/SwiftHelloPython/.build/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/release -color-diagnostics -g -module-cache-path /home/stefan/projects/SwiftHelloPython/.build/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/ModuleCache -swift-version 5 -O -D SWIFT_PACKAGE -new-driver-path /usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-driver -entry-point-function-name HelloPython_main -empty-abi-descriptor -resource-dir /usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/lib/swift_static -use-static-resource-dir -module-name HelloPython -parse-as-library -num-threads 4 -o /home/stefan/projects/SwiftHelloPython/.build/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/release/HelloPython.build/Main.swift.o
1. Swift version 5.7 (swift-5.7-RELEASE)
2. Compiling with the current language version
3. While evaluating request ASTLoweringRequest(Lowering AST to SIL for module HelloPython)
4. While silgen emitArtificialTopLevel SIL function "@async_Main".
Stack dump without symbol names (ensure you have llvm-symbolizer in your PATH or set the environment var `LLVM_SYMBOLIZER_PATH` to point to it):
/usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-frontend(+0x5513c03)[0x5583a9789c03]
/usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-frontend(+0x5511b2e)[0x5583a9787b2e]
/usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-frontend(+0x5513f8a)[0x5583a9789f8a]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x42520)[0x7fc8f90b6520]
/usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-frontend(+0xae4c12)[0x5583a4d5ac12]
/usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-frontend(+0x179b282)[0x5583a5a11282]
/usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-frontend(+0xf72f8e)[0x5583a51e8f8e]
/usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-frontend(+0xfc3600)[0x5583a5239600]
/usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-frontend(+0xf73dae)[0x5583a51e9dae]
/usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-frontend(+0xf78409)[0x5583a51ee409]
/usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-frontend(+0xff512f)[0x5583a526b12f]
/usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-frontend(+0xff5049)[0x5583a526b049]
/usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-frontend(+0xf7b0c8)[0x5583a51f10c8]
/usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-frontend(+0xf78f24)[0x5583a51eef24]
/usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-frontend(+0xa406c0)[0x5583a4cb66c0]
/usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-frontend(+0xa42a6e)[0x5583a4cb8a6e]
/usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-frontend(+0xa41d8d)[0x5583a4cb7d8d]
/usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-frontend(+0x9140f9)[0x5583a4b8a0f9]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x29d90)[0x7fc8f909dd90]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0x80)[0x7fc8f909de40]
/usr/local/swift-5.7-RELEASE-ubuntu22.04/usr/bin/swift-frontend(+0x913955)[0x5583a4b89955]

My take-aways:

• It seems to be complicated. (Or at least for now? Will that become easier?)
  • I really would have liked to produce a "stand-alone" binary, but I think I am able to work with an installed Swift + dependencies in this case. Not nice, but OK.

One further question:

I also tried to compile with swift build -c release -Xswiftc -static-stdlib, this compiles without an error but when I am starting my program, the program gets stuck. (The program compiled with just swift build -c release is running fine.) Could this be "the same problem"?

hi @sspringer some of this was discussed in https://forums.swift.org/t/pitch-package-manager-statically-link-swift-runtime-libraries-by-default-on-supported-platforms/

a few tl;dr take aways:

1. it is difficult to produce a fully statically linked binary in swift today due to system dependencies - especially glibc. there is a long term plan to make this easier.
  2. for now, you would probably get better milage using -static-stdlib and avoiding (or manually bringing over) system dependencies that are not handled by -static-stdlib
  3. need to investigate how -enable-experimental-cxx-interop interacts with -static-stdlib, if we are actually using C++ interoperability here. that is an experimental feature so I am not sure the implications of it on static linking are fully taken care of
  4. we should update the docs accordingly, and also the dependencies list.

cc @Max_Desiatov @drexin @mishal_shah

1 Like

For me, that sounds very good.

(And thank you for the link, I thought that both options -static-executable and -static-stdlib are already an "easy" given on linux.)

Note that I also have a problem using -static-stdlib, but this might be because of using PythonKit (it gets stuck when trying to execute the Python function)?

To me this does look like an issue related to C++ interop, especially as std::__throw_bad_array_new_length() was mentioned, which is a C++ symbol. C++ interop is still at an early stage, therefore the requirement for experimental flag. I'm not sure anyone tested it yet with static linking.

cc @zoecarver

Yes, those things take time... Thanks to all people involved.

1 Like

@Max_Desiatov no, this is not a C++ interop issue. The issue is the standard library itself. That is written using C++, and thus needs to ensure that the C++ runtime is linked into the final executable when linked statically. However, we will drive the link using clang as normally you do not want to use clang++ to avoid over-linking in the case that the standard library is dynamically linked. Perhaps we should consider adding some complexity to the driver for the static linking case. I can look into that.

Are there any updates on this topic? With Swift 5.8.1 some libcurl symbols are not found (swift build -c release -Xswiftc -static-executable):

/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl.a(libcurl_la-http2.o):function http2_disconnect: error: undefined reference to 'nghttp2_session_del'

with the experimental C++ inter activated I get other error messages (swift build -c release -Xswiftc -static-executable -Xswiftc -enable-experimental-cxx-interop):

.../Constants.swift:181:10: error: cannot find 'ENOTSUP' in scope

Is this reproducible with GitHub - stefanspringer1/SwiftHelloPython: Example for using PythonKit, otherwise would you be able to provide a self-contained reproduction sample?

The according project is closed source, but different projects fail with different error messages, so the static link option -Xswiftc -static-executable does seem pretty unstable. I tried with a minimal project on Ubuntu 22.04 (freshly updated), already this fails:

commands

The following citation contains:

1. Create a minimal executable project.
  2. Try to compile with -Xswiftc -static-executable.
  3. Show Swift version.
  4. Show OS version.
  5. Try to compile without -Xswiftc -static-executable.
(base) stefan@stefan-virtual-machine:~/projects/MiniSwift$ swift package init --type executable
Creating executable package: MiniSwift
Creating Package.swift
Creating .gitignore
Creating Sources/
Creating Sources/main.swift
(base) stefan@stefan-virtual-machine:~/projects/MiniSwift$ swift build -c release -Xswiftc -static-executable
remark: Incremental compilation has been disabled: it is not compatible with whole module optimization
error: link command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
clang-13: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-pie' [-Wunused-command-line-argument]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.a(pthread_create.o)(.note.stapsdt+0x14): error: relocation refers to local symbol "" [1], which is defined in a discarded section
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.a(pthread_create.o)(.note.stapsdt+0x74): error: relocation refers to local symbol "" [1], which is defined in a discarded section
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.a(pthread_join_common.o)(.note.stapsdt+0x14): error: relocation refers to local symbol "" [1], which is defined in a discarded section
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.a(pthread_join_common.o)(.note.stapsdt+0x5c): error: relocation refers to local symbol "" [1], which is defined in a discarded section
clang-13: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
[2/3] Linking MiniSwift
(base) stefan@stefan-virtual-machine:~/projects/MiniSwift$ swift --version
Swift version 5.8.1 (swift-5.8.1-RELEASE)
Target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
(base) stefan@stefan-virtual-machine:~/projects/MiniSwift$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Release: 22.04
Codename: jammy
(base) stefan@stefan-virtual-machine:~/projects/MiniSwift$ swift build -c release
remark: Incremental compilation has been disabled: it is not compatible with whole module optimization
[3/3] Linking MiniSwift
Build complete! (1.38s)
(base) stefan@stefan-virtual-machine:~/projects/MiniSwift$ .build/release/MiniSwift
Hello, world!
(base) stefan@stefan-virtual-machine:~/projects/MiniSwift$ 

I understand, I hope you'd be able to share self-contained repro steps at some point. That would allow us to run those on our side to investigate and fix this.

I created the following two repos which use the same "structure" as the current real project but without the private repos and with minimal code. The linker errors e.g. pointing to libcurl are preserved.

• cmdDummy: The package to be compiled.
  • libDummy: A library package that currently has to reside side-by-side to cmdDummy for compilation.

The command for compilation is swift build -c release -Xswiftc -static-executable.

The Swift version is 5.8.1

The OS version is Ubuntu 22.04.3.

Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry for the delay, but having another quick look at this, I don't think this is the option you should be using for producing static executables. -Xswiftc CLI options are not meant for public consumption and are not guaranteed to be stable, that's why those are specified via unsafeFlags property in Package.swift.

You should pass --static-swift-stdlib option instead for linking Swift stdlib statically. As for libcurl-related errors, if you inherit it by using FoundationNetworking, I recommend using AsyncHTTPClient instead, which doesn't have a libcurl dependency. Linking libcurl itself statically is hard, since it has numerous cryptography-related transitive dependencies.

That's not quite accurate. -Xswiftc flags are driver flags, which are absolutely meant to be (or should be) stable, since the driver is the public interface to the compiler. SwiftPM wraps that, but there are build systems that don't use SPM as well (CMake, Bazel, etc.) and the driver needs to be a stable interface for those. You may be thinking of -Xfrontend flags; the frontend interface is not guaranteed to be stable between toolchain releases.

The reason that custom flags are wrapped in unsafeFlags isn't due to (in)stability, but because SPM can't easily reason about arbitrary flags and the effect they would have on its own build planning.

Of course, as you point out, when there is a direct SwiftPM flag for a certain task, users should use it, rather than equivalent swiftc flags.

1 Like

That's correct if you're using the Swift driver directly. But when you're building with SwiftPM, you shouldn't assume that your usage of -Xswiftc won't break, since SwiftPM may be passing incompatible flag under the hood or change some other conditions. That's why I can't recommend someone to rely on -Xswiftc not breaking their build with SwiftPM, as it breaks the abstraction.

Forgive me stretching the analogy here, CPU instructions are stable and a given Swift function may be source stable, but if you call from Swift another function written in assembly that writes to arbitrary registers and messes up the stack, the Swift compiler can't guarantee that things will be compatible and won't break.

Don't expect that things won't break when you mix different layers of abstraction, that's all what I'm trying to say.

Yeah, that's fair. The flags themselves are stable, but passing them specifically through -Xswiftc is not.

1 Like

Is there? I found the “type” argument to “library(name:type:targets:)” but which only differentiates between static and dynamic without explaining much, the same on swift.org. Those are important options on non-Apple platforms, they should be explained well, currently I do not know which options are which (-static-swift-stdlib? -static-executable?) and which are “stable”.

Also, why should static vs. dynamic always be part of the package definition? This could be a decision when building.

Exactly, that's why you don't need to specify this as a part of your package definition. Pass --static-swift-stdlib at build time to link Swift stdlib/runtime statically, as described in swift build --help.

As explained in the post above, none of the options passed via -Xswiftc should be considered "stable" when building with SwiftPM.

1 Like