Development open for Swift 5.5.3 for Linux and Windows

We are happy to announce the opening of the development phase for Swift 5.5.3 for Linux and Windows.

8 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the headsup.

What kind of changes are supposed to be accepted? There is a bunch of regression issues (mostly since 5.4) (e.g.,SR-14988, SR-14815) recorded in the issue tracker, but also many others.

(Not wanting to derail this thread, butโ€ฆ I always wonder if anyone is working on the behemoth of Linux-related issues? And how do we know if someone works on something? I have a bit of fear that bugs.swift.org is turning into the nirvana the Apple Rdar tracker is.)

More info about the process is available here: Process documentation

Whilst the merge window is open, everybody can open a pull request against the swift-4.2-branch in swift-corelibs-foundation or swift-corelibs-xctest on Github. To keep the process smooth and lightweight, the release managers will only consider pull requests that

• are bug fixes,
  • have already been merged to master ,
  • pass all the unit tests on swift-4.2-branch , and
  • contain at least one unit test exercising the changed code.

We expect most bug fixes to be small corrections, so creating the pull request might be a matter of creating a branch followed by git cherry-pick -x FIX-COMMIT-FROM-MASTER-SHA . We do realize not all backports will be a conflict-free cherry picks but we hope the community works together to deliver the most pressing bug fixes in a timely manner.

(Replace master --> main and swift-4.2-branch --> release/5.5)

Do you have any info on when will URLSession.shared.data(from: url) be available on Linux?

2 Likes

Current plan is to release Swift 5.5.3 with following changes, please let me know if we are missing any changes.

llvm-project

swift

swiftpm

No changes between swift-5.5.2-RELEASE and swift-5.5.3-RELEASE for following repositories

• cmark
  • indexstore-db
  • llbuild
  • sourcekit-lsp
  • swift-corelibs-foundation
  • swift-corelibs-libdispatch
  • swift-corelibs-xctest
  • swift-driver
  • swift-integration-tests
  • swift-stress-tester
  • swift-syntax
  • swift-tools-support-core
  • swift-xcode-playground-support
1 Like

The merge window is now closed.

Thank you!

@mishal_shah will you also be posting on this thread once the release goes out?

Yes, I will post here.

1 Like

any updates @mishal_shah ?

2 Likes