December 12th, 2019

IBM update

@IanPartridge and @Chris_Bailey let the group know that following a review by IBM of its open source priorities, it has been decided that they will not be continuing to work on Swift in 2020. As a result, they are both standing down from the workgroup.

@IanPartridge will work to hand over responsibilities for the Swift Docker images and suggested a potential new owner from the community.

The workgroup thanked @IanPartridge, @Chris_Bailey and the rest of the IBM team for their valuable work over the years in getting Swift on server off the ground, and providing the community with reliable solutions during those early days.

Regular agenda

• @tanner0101 to publish 11/14 notes
  • Carry over action items from previous meeting,
    • @tanner0101 to test integrating of api-breakage validation into vapor libraries CI
      • New versions of swift-pm include integration with the tool :tada:
      • @tanner0101 feels the tool may be “too paranoid”, further investigation required.
    • @johannesweiss followed up with Apple's Foundation team about the new FoundationNetworking code portability across darwin and linux. Foundation team is considering various solutions.
    • @johannesweiss to start a forum discussion thread about connection-pooling given the progress on async-http-client connection pool implementation. The goal is educational / state-of-nation, not call for action for a generic connection pooling solution.
    • @tomerd to continue working on this swift-nio governance model.
    • @timburks and @tanner0101 reply to open-api forum post.
    • @tomerd to look into using slack for swift-server communication.
  • @tanner0101 pitched SQLite and MySQL clients :tada:
  • Swift support for distroless
    • Distroless is gaining popularity for kubernetes deployments.
    • Discussed with google's project lead in kubecone, happy to take contribution to include Swift support
    • @tomerd post a “call for action” forum post looking for community leadership on this.
10 Likes

Thanks @IanPartridge and @Chris_Bailey for all of your work!

What happens to Kitura now? Will it still be developed or will that project also be turned over to the community?

20 Likes

I’m curious to know as well. It would be interesting to hear, if permitted by the folks at IBM, what factors lead to the decision to pull out.

10 Likes

oh god.... my biggest app is on Kitura!

:open_mouth:

4 Likes

I'm not a Kitura fan but I will regret @IanPartridge and @Chris_Bailey because they really contributed to the development of server side Swift.
Thanks for all of your work!

1 Like

How sad is that :frowning:

1 Like

What a sad notice! I had the chance to talk with Ian about Server Side Swift after his talk at the try! Swift NYC.

Thanks to them for contributing to the evolution of server side Swift!

1 Like

Sad news this is indeed

1 Like

I too would love to know what the future of Kitura looks like. Getting code into Kitura was the easiest open source experience of my life. I found David Jones at IBM particularly helpful in this regard.

2 Likes

Thanks to Ian and Chris for their contributions (IBM for sponsorship and all who was involved to the Kitura ecosystem). Sadly this news proofs that we should never rely on huge companies and be always stick with a community driven projects.

3 Likes

You do realise that Swift is completely owned by Apple?

Very sad news, indeed. I also hope Kitura will continue to be maintained; that said, I'm very grateful for the work IBM has put into server-side Swift so far, which goes way beyond just Kitura itself.

5 Likes

What?

I don't think we need to worry too much Apple abandoning Swift though...

Big shame about Kitura! I'm using Vapor, but it's always good with competition, and my impression it's been very fruitful in this case.

1 Like

I do worry about Apple eventually abandoning Swift on Linux, though.

7 Likes

Swift is Open Source now, or is that incorrect? If Open Source then can you clarify how it is owned still by Apple?

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

You’re free to share your opinion, but keep in mind that this is a community that strives to be respectful of others.

3 Likes

You might find your answer in the Code of Conduct that governs this forum. I think "others" includes the people who make decisions at companies, especially those that work at IBM and who participate actively in this forum.

I'm withdrawing my comments, but it is under objection. I guess I'm not free to express an opinion after all. Your wording seems suggestive that you or this forum has an allegiance to IBM. My original comment was clearly directed towards the decision that IBM made not to any developers that participate here. I think it is crazy to think that it would be interpreted as such. Over reaching and overzealous to say the least.

I'm withdrawing my comments, but it is under objection. I guess I'm not free to express an opinion after all. Your wording seems suggestive that you or this forum has an allegiance to IBM. My original comment was clearly directed towards the decision that IBM leadership made not to any IBM developers that participate here. I think it is crazy to think that it would be interpreted as such. Over reaching and overzealous to say the least.