Will SE-0294 be in effect permanently?

after dealing with some SwiftPM weirdness today, i did some deeper investigation into the significance of the filename main.swift to the toolchain and came across this passage within SE-0294:

On the implementation side, this proposal also updates the logic in SwiftPM so that:

• if the package tools-version is less than 5.4, a target is considered to be executable in exactly the same way as in versions of SwiftPM prior to 5.4
  • if the package tools-version is greater than or equal to 5.4, then:
    • if the target is declared using .executableTarget, then it is considered to be an executable target
    • if the target is declared using .target, then source files are examined using the same rules as prior to 5.4, and a warning suggesting that the target be declared using .executableTarget is emitted if the target is considered executable under those rules

The effect of this logic is that, starting with SwiftPM tools-version 5.4, declaring an executable target by using .target and having it inferred to be an executable by the presence of a source file with a base name of main is considered deprecated but still works.

This approach eases the transition for any package that adopts tools-version 5.4, and provides better diagnostics to change the declarations of executable targets to use .executableTarget. If technically feasible, the warning should have a fix-it to change the associated .target declaration to .executableTarget.

A future tools-version will remove the warning and treat any target that is declared using .target as a library target.

as i understand it, the rules boil down to:

• if swift-tools-version < some unspecified tools version, then a module is executable if it contains a file named main.swift.

• if swift-tools-version >= 5.4, then a module is also executable if it is declared as an executableTarget, regardless of whether it has a main.swift file.

i wondered what to substitute for some unspecified tools version, and empirically the behavior still seems to be in place as of swift-tools-version 5.10.

is there any plan to fix the upper bound of this version range to some defined swift-tools-version (e.g. 5.10?) if not, should we declare the meaning of main.swift to be permanent?