Using content from Swift website, copyright, etc

Hi,

I'm learning and improving my knowledge of Swift for more than a year now, and I want to make some sort of blog firstly as a reminder for myself, but also I want to make it public because I want to increase my online presence in Swift (iOS) Community:smiley: Of course, most of my knowledge is from Swift language documentation, so is it okay if I am using it in my blog?

Thanks for help!
Aleksa

1 Like

I guess as long as you keep references to documentation it’s okay

Please don’t make guesses about copyright.

@swift-documentation-workgroup, can you share any advice?

Ok, I would not. I just don’t see how referencing documentation can violate anything, acknowledging the fact that almost any article about Swift is referencing it in a way. Maybe you can share some examples of copyright violation by referencing any programming language documentation?

The Swift Programming Language, at least in its e-book form, is “made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.” That license states that you may freely

• Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
  • Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
  • for any purpose, even commercially.

(Also, even if that were not the case, short quotation from programming language documentation in the course of a discussion of the language is highly likely to be considered “fair use” and thus okay even if the copyright license were stricter. In this case I am speaking with regard to US copyright law as I know nothing about the situation in other countries.)

5 Likes