Update on the Swift Project Lead

Since Apple launched Swift at WWDC 2014, the Swift team has worked closely with our developer community. When we made Swift open source and launched Swift.org we put a lot of effort into defining a strong community structure. This structure has enabled Apple and the amazingly vibrant Swift community to work together to evolve Swift into a powerful, mature language powering software used by hundreds of millions of people.

I’m happy to announce that Ted Kremenek will be taking over for me as “Project Lead” for the Swift project, managing the administrative and leadership responsibility for Swift.org. This recognizes the incredible effort he has already been putting into the project, and reflects a decision I’ve made to leave Apple later this month to pursue an opportunity in another space. This decision wasn't made lightly, and I want you all to know that I’m still completely committed to Swift. I plan to remain an active member of the Swift Core Team, as well as a contributor to the swift-evolution mailing list.

Working with many phenomenal teams at Apple to launch Swift has been a unique life experience. Apple is a truly amazing place to be able to assemble the skills, imagination, and discipline to pull something like this off. Swift is in great shape today, and Swift 4 will be a really strong release with Ted as the Project Lead.

Note that this isn’t a change to the structure - just to who sits in which role - so we don’t expect it to impact day-to-day operations in the Swift Core Team in any significant way. Ted and I wanted to let you know what is happening as a part of our commitment to keeping the structure of Swift.org transparent to our community.

-Chris

Congratulations Ted, and best of luck to you Chris in your future endeavors!

Nevin

···

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution < swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Since Apple launched Swift at WWDC 2014, the Swift team has worked closely
with our developer community. When we made Swift open source and launched
Swift.org we put a lot of effort into defining a strong community
structure. This structure has enabled Apple and the amazingly vibrant
Swift community to work together to evolve Swift into a powerful, mature
language powering software used by hundreds of millions of people.

I’m happy to announce that Ted Kremenek will be taking over for me as
“Project Lead” for the Swift project, managing the administrative and
leadership responsibility for Swift.org. This recognizes the incredible
effort he has already been putting into the project, and reflects a
decision I’ve made to leave Apple later this month to pursue an opportunity
in another space. This decision wasn't made lightly, and I want you all to
know that I’m still completely committed to Swift. I plan to remain an
active member of the Swift Core Team, as well as a contributor to the
swift-evolution mailing list.

Working with many phenomenal teams at Apple to launch Swift has been a
unique life experience. Apple is a truly amazing place to be able to
assemble the skills, imagination, and discipline to pull something like
this off. Swift is in great shape today, and Swift 4 will be a really
strong release with Ted as the Project Lead.

Note that this isn’t a change to the structure - just to who sits in which
role - so we don’t expect it to impact day-to-day operations in the Swift
Core Team in any significant way. Ted and I wanted to let you know what is
happening as a part of our commitment to keeping the structure of Swift.org
transparent to our community.

-Chris

Under your direction Apple’s platforms have gone from using cobbled-together, outdated GPLv2 tools to a thoroughly modern and much-improved toolchain. It’s probably the nicest platform to develop for now, and through open-source those projects have had huge impacts in all kinds of other areas, too. Thank you very much for all the years of work you’ve put in to make that happen, and best of luck for the future!

- Karl

···

On 10 Jan 2017, at 18:07, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Since Apple launched Swift at WWDC 2014, the Swift team has worked closely with our developer community. When we made Swift open source and launched Swift.org we put a lot of effort into defining a strong community structure. This structure has enabled Apple and the amazingly vibrant Swift community to work together to evolve Swift into a powerful, mature language powering software used by hundreds of millions of people.

I’m happy to announce that Ted Kremenek will be taking over for me as “Project Lead” for the Swift project, managing the administrative and leadership responsibility for Swift.org. This recognizes the incredible effort he has already been putting into the project, and reflects a decision I’ve made to leave Apple later this month to pursue an opportunity in another space. This decision wasn't made lightly, and I want you all to know that I’m still completely committed to Swift. I plan to remain an active member of the Swift Core Team, as well as a contributor to the swift-evolution mailing list.

Working with many phenomenal teams at Apple to launch Swift has been a unique life experience. Apple is a truly amazing place to be able to assemble the skills, imagination, and discipline to pull something like this off. Swift is in great shape today, and Swift 4 will be a really strong release with Ted as the Project Lead.

Note that this isn’t a change to the structure - just to who sits in which role - so we don’t expect it to impact day-to-day operations in the Swift Core Team in any significant way. Ted and I wanted to let you know what is happening as a part of our commitment to keeping the structure of Swift.org transparent to our community.

-Chris

Congrat Chris, big new challenge :)

Hope we will have news on the lead about the dev tools, xcode and co.

Best wishes

Gerard

···

On Jan 10, 2017, at 6:07 PM, Chris Lattner via swift-dev <swift-dev@swift.org> wrote:

-Chris

Thanks Nevin!

One thing that I don’t think is fully appreciated by the community: Ted has been one of the quiet but incredible masterminds behind Swift (and Clang, and the Clang Static Analyzer) for many years. His approach and modesty has led many to misunderstand the fact that he has actually been running the Swift team for quite some time (misattributing it to me). While I’m super happy to continue to participate in the ongoing evolution and design of Swift, I’m clearly outmatched by the members of the Apple Swift team, and by Ted’s leadership of the team. This is the time for me to graciously hand things over to folks who are far more qualified than me. Swift has an incredible future ahead of it, and I’m really thrilled to be small part of the force that helps guide its direction going forward.

-Chris

···

On Jan 10, 2017, at 10:37 AM, Nevin Brackett-Rozinsky <nevin.brackettrozinsky@gmail.com> wrote:

Congratulations Ted, and best of luck to you Chris in your future endeavors!

Chris, thanks for all the huge work you made Chris, from LLVM, to Swift.org <http://swift.org/&gt; going through Clang and Xcode and all those stuffs I don’t know of.

Good luck for what comes next, and continue to change the world, little piece by little piece.

Guillaume DIDIER

···

ÉCOLE POLYTECHNIQUE
91128 PALAISEAU CEDEX
M. +33 (0)7 70 43 18 40
guillaume.didier@polytechnique.edu <mailto:guillaume.didier@polytechnique.edu?subject=>
www.polytechnique.edu <http://www.polytechnique.edu/&gt;

Le 10 janv. 2017 à 20:35, Karl Wagner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> a écrit :

On 10 Jan 2017, at 18:07, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

-Chris

Under your direction Apple’s platforms have gone from using cobbled-together, outdated GPLv2 tools to a thoroughly modern and much-improved toolchain. It’s probably the nicest platform to develop for now, and through open-source those projects have had huge impacts in all kinds of other areas, too. Thank you very much for all the years of work you’ve put in to make that happen, and best of luck for the future!

- Karl

Good news for Chris and Ted, I guess, congrats guys :)

I am wondering, what’s the future of Playgrounds, now that it’s main ‘driver’ left Apple?
Playgrounds is definitely one early killer app for Swift, it would be a pity for the project to stagnate.

-g.

PS: I am also wondering if Tesla will start using some Swift now ;-P

···

One thing that I don’t think is fully appreciated by the community: Ted has been one of the quiet but incredible masterminds behind Swift (and Clang, and the Clang Static Analyzer) for many years. His approach and modesty has led many to misunderstand the fact that he has actually been running the Swift team for quite some time (misattributing it to me). While I’m super happy to continue to participate in the ongoing evolution and design of Swift, I’m clearly outmatched by the members of the Apple Swift team, and by Ted’s leadership of the team. This is the time for me to graciously hand things over to folks who are far more qualified than me. Swift has an incredible future ahead of it, and I’m really thrilled to be small part of the force that helps guide its direction going forward.

-Chris

Thanks Chris! Thanks to yours work we got an improved objc and swift.

···

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 4:33 AM Georgios Moschovitis via swift-evolution < swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Good news for Chris and Ted, I guess, congrats guys :)

I am wondering, what’s the future of Playgrounds, now that it’s main
‘driver’ left Apple?
Playgrounds is definitely one early killer app for Swift, it would be a
pity for the project to stagnate.

-g.

PS: I am also wondering if Tesla will start using some Swift now ;-P

>
> One thing that I don’t think is fully appreciated by the community: Ted
has been one of the quiet but incredible masterminds behind Swift (and
Clang, and the Clang Static Analyzer) for many years. His approach and
modesty has led many to misunderstand the fact that he has actually been
running the Swift team for quite some time (misattributing it to me).
While I’m super happy to continue to participate in the ongoing evolution
and design of Swift, I’m clearly outmatched by the members of the Apple
Swift team, and by Ted’s leadership of the team. This is the time for me
to graciously hand things over to folks who are far more qualified than
me. Swift has an incredible future ahead of it, and I’m really thrilled to
be small part of the force that helps guide its direction going forward.
>
> -Chris
>
> _______________________________________________
> swift-evolution mailing list
> swift-evolution@swift.org
> https://lists.swift.org/mailman/listinfo/swift-evolution