unums in Swift?

Unums sound very interesting (Ubiquity). I'm wondering if anyone working on numerics in Swift has considered an implementation in the standard library.

Matthew

···

Sent from my iPad

What do you find interesting about them?

I haven’t spent more than a few hours reading about them (and the definition of “unum” seems to be a moving target, so I’m not sure that it would have been useful to study them further), but my rough thoughts are:

- SORN are a cute alternative to intervals, but only feasible with *extremely* low precision formats.

- For very low precision needs, fixed point or indexed numbers or lossy compression seem like better options for most cases.

- For “typical” precision and dynamic range needs, hardware floating-point (possibly with a compressed storage format) is just as useful and orders of magnitude faster.

- For limited dynamic range applications, fixed-point formats seem like a much better option (there’s a good opportunity here for library work to make using fixed-point arithmetic less error prone).

- For very high dynamic range applications, fixed-point logarithms or level-index numbers seem like a better option.

Unums are a cute way to mostly unify these ideas into a single type, but that doesn’t actually seem like a good idea to me. This is very much going to be a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none situation.

That said, they are an *interesting* idea, so I wouldn’t discourage anyone from investigating them.

– Steve

···

On May 7, 2016, at 3:08 PM, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Unums sound very interesting (Ubiquity). I'm wondering if anyone working on numerics in Swift has considered an implementation in the standard library.

Matthew

Sent from my iPad

What do you find interesting about them?

As an app developer I'm not even remotely a numerics expert so my understanding is probably superficial. The link I posted gave me the impression that they would avoid the errors that accumulate in floating point arithmetic.

I haven’t spent more than a few hours reading about them (and the definition of “unum” seems to be a moving target, so I’m not sure that it would have been useful to study them further), but my rough thoughts are:

- SORN are a cute alternative to intervals, but only feasible with *extremely* low precision formats.

- For very low precision needs, fixed point or indexed numbers or lossy compression seem like better options for most cases.

- For “typical” precision and dynamic range needs, hardware floating-point (possibly with a compressed storage format) is just as useful and orders of magnitude faster.

- For limited dynamic range applications, fixed-point formats seem like a much better option (there’s a good opportunity here for library work to make using fixed-point arithmetic less error prone).

- For very high dynamic range applications, fixed-point logarithms or level-index numbers seem like a better option.

Unums are a cute way to mostly unify these ideas into a single type, but that doesn’t actually seem like a good idea to me. This is very much going to be a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none situation.

Makes sense. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

···

Sent from my iPad

On May 9, 2016, at 10:44 AM, Stephen Canon <scanon@apple.com> wrote:

That said, they are an *interesting* idea, so I wouldn’t discourage anyone from investigating them.

– Steve

On May 7, 2016, at 3:08 PM, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Unums sound very interesting (http://ubiquity.acm.org/article.cfm?id=2913029\). I'm wondering if anyone working on numerics in Swift has considered an implementation in the standard library.

Matthew

Sent from my iPad