"unable to type-check this expression in reasonable time" for a 'simple' expression

Given the following code, the compiler gave up after several minutes with:

"The compiler is unable to type-check this expression in reasonable time; try breaking up the expression into distinct sub-expressions"

public typealias CategoryID = Int16

var usedCats = NSCountedSet()

usedCats.add(CategoryID(1))
usedCats.add(CategoryID(7))
usedCats.add(CategoryID(99))
usedCats.add(CategoryID(99))

// Sort the used categories by use count
struct CatWithCount {
    let cat: CategoryID
    let count: Int
}

let countedCats = usedCats.allObjects.map { CatWithCount(cat: $0 as! CategoryID, count: usedCats.count(for: $0)) }
    .sorted { $0.count > $1.count ? true : $0.count == $1.count ? $0.cat < $1.cat : false }

s = ""
for i in countedCats {
    s += " {\(i.cat): \(i.count)}"
}
print(s)

Is complaining about the .sorted { ...

Easy enough to fix myself by changing it to:

let countedCats = usedCats.allObjects.map { CatWithCount(cat: $0 as! CategoryID, count: usedCats.count(for: $0)) }
    .sorted {
        if $0.count > $1.count {
            return true
        }
        if $0.count == $1.count {
            return $0.cat < $1.cat
        }
        return false
    }

But to me it doesn't seem that complicated an expression, but I'm no compiler engineer :slight_smile:

I don't know exactly what is happening and didn't look into any debug output but it looks like for ternary expression closure the compiler is having trouble inferring $0 and $1 as CatWithCount. Type annotate the closure may workaround the issue

.sorted { (c1: CatWithCount, c2: CatWithCount) in c1.count > c2.count ? true : c1.count == c2.count ? c1.cat < c2.cat : false }

Maybe worth opening an issue?
cc @xedin @hborla

Slowness of the ternary infamous unfortunately, it was even recently mentioned during review of if/switch expressions. There just be an issue open for that already on GitHub, but if you can't find one please feel free to open it.

3 Likes

Also, this is just

($0.count, $1.cat) > ($1.count, $0.cat)

And .allObjects isn't necessary because NSCountedSet is itself a Sequence.

3 Likes

($0.count, $1.cat) > ($1.count, $0.cat). That doesn't work for me as if the counts are equal, I want the one with the lowest category ID to sort first. But thanks as I didn't know you could do that with tuples.

What would be nice is the ability to creates sorts like this (with totally fictitious syntax)

.sorted { (>(\count), <(\cat)) }

allObjects - Thanks - I lived in the Objective C world for too long :grinning:

Sadly that didn't help. Still just as slow.

Depending on if you fulfil the platform requirements (e.g iOS 15+, macOS 12.0+) you could use sorted(using:).

.sorted(using: [
        KeyPathComparator(\.count, order: .reverse),
        KeyPathComparator(\.cat, order: .forward)
    ])

I tried it out in playgrounds and it prints the following:

{99: 2} {1: 1} {7: 1}
1 Like

Which version of compiler are you using? 5.7 compiles relatively quick. See Compiler Explorer where the original just timeout.

Yes, that is how it works. The later tuple element comparisons are the same idea as ThenBy in C#, for example.

I'm confused as yes, that produces the expected result, but it doesn't seem to match what the documentation says for the tuple > operator:
" Given two tuples (a1, a2, ..., aN) and (b1, b2, ..., bN) , the first tuple is after the second tuple if and only if a1 > b1 or (a1 == b1 and (a2, ..., aN) > (b2, ..., bN) )."

In ($0.count, $1.cat) > ($1.count, $0.cat),
Note that $0 and $1 are swapped in the second element, providing the reversal you want.

1 Like