swift/utils/build-script --xctest --foundation -t

I get the following error:

+ make build-tests
/bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link /home/mohit/Documents/swift-
source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/llvm-linux-x86_64/bin/clang -Wall
-Wno-deprecated-declarations -fblocks -I/home/mohit/Documents/swift-
source/swift-corelibs-libdispatch/src/BlocksRuntime -isystem
/usr/include/bsd -DLIBBSD_OVERLAY -g -O0 -rpath
/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64
-o dispatch_apply dispatch_apply.o libbsdtests.la ../src/libdispatch.la
-lbsd -L/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-
DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64 -lswiftCore
-lswiftSwiftOnoneSupport -lpthread
libtool: link: /home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-
DebugAssert/llvm-linux-x86_64/bin/clang -Wall -Wno-deprecated-declarations
-fblocks -I/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/swift-corelibs-libdispatch/src/BlocksRuntime
-isystem /usr/include/bsd -DLIBBSD_OVERLAY -g -O0 -o .libs/dispatch_apply
dispatch_apply.o ./.libs/libbsdtests.a ../src/.libs/libdispatch.so -lbsd
-L/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-
DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64 -lswiftCore
-lswiftSwiftOnoneSupport -lpthread -Wl,-rpath -Wl,//usr/lib/swift/linux
-Wl,-rpath -Wl,/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-
DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64
/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_
64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64/libswiftCore.so: undefined reference to
`objc_release'
clang-4.0: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
invocation)
Makefile:1123: recipe for target 'dispatch_apply' failed
make: *** [dispatch_apply] Error 1
swift/utils/build-script: fatal error: command terminated with a non-zero
exit status 2, aborting

Looks like there is some undefined reference for objc_release in
libswiftCore.

From the looks of the message it looks like swift was actually built but

it's just that test cases weren't built. On this hunch, I went into my
swift-corelibs-foundation folder and tried to execute:

ninja

Which tells me:

ninja: error: loading 'build.ninja': No such file or directory

Given my lack of experience here, I'm not quite sure how to go about
resolving these issues.

Could somebody help me out here please.

Thanks,

Mohit

I'm trying to get back to work starting from scratch on Swift Foundation on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system.

I cloned the main swift repo and all of it's dependencies via ssh
./swift/utils/update-checkout --clone-with-ssh
and after running (taken from instructions from the Foundation site):

+ make build-tests
/bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link /home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/llvm-linux-x86_64/bin/clang -Wall -Wno-deprecated-declarations -fblocks -I/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/swift-corelibs-libdispatch/src/BlocksRuntime -isystem /usr/include/bsd -DLIBBSD_OVERLAY -g -O0 -rpath /home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64 -o dispatch_apply dispatch_apply.o libbsdtests.la <http://libbsdtests.la/&gt; ../src/libdispatch.la <http://libdispatch.la/&gt; -lbsd -L/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64 -lswiftCore -lswiftSwiftOnoneSupport -lpthread
libtool: link: /home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/llvm-linux-x86_64/bin/clang -Wall -Wno-deprecated-declarations -fblocks -I/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/swift-corelibs-libdispatch/src/BlocksRuntime -isystem /usr/include/bsd -DLIBBSD_OVERLAY -g -O0 -o .libs/dispatch_apply dispatch_apply.o ./.libs/libbsdtests.a ../src/.libs/libdispatch.so -lbsd -L/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64 -lswiftCore -lswiftSwiftOnoneSupport -lpthread -Wl,-rpath -Wl,//usr/lib/swift/linux -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64
/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64/libswiftCore.so: undefined reference to `objc_release'
clang-4.0: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
swift/utils/build-script: fatal error: command terminated with a non-zero exit status 2, aborting

Looks like there is some undefined reference for objc_release in libswiftCore.

From the looks of the message it looks like swift was actually built but it's just that test cases weren't built. On this hunch, I went into my swift-corelibs-foundation folder and tried to execute:

ninja

Which tells me:

swift-corelibs-foundation does not use ninja. I would use the build-script line from the bots. That way you know you are doing the right thing.

Specifically:

URL: https://ci.swift.org/job/oss-swift-incremental-RA-linux-ubuntu-16_04/2413/consoleFull

Preset: buildbot_incremental_linux

If that does not work on your system, then something is misconfigured.

Also I wouldn't use --clone-with-ssh it is unnecessary.

···

On Mar 30, 2017, at 12:31 PM, Mohit Athwani via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

Given my lack of experience here, I'm not quite sure how to go about resolving these issues.

Thanks,

Mohit

I'm trying to get back to work starting from scratch on Swift Foundation on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system.

+ make build-tests
/bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link /home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/llvm-linux-x86_64/bin/clang -Wall -Wno-deprecated-declarations -fblocks -I/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/swift-corelibs-libdispatch/src/BlocksRuntime -isystem /usr/include/bsd -DLIBBSD_OVERLAY -g -O0 -rpath /home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64 -o dispatch_apply dispatch_apply.o libbsdtests.la <http://libbsdtests.la/&gt; ../src/libdispatch.la <http://libdispatch.la/&gt; -lbsd -L/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64 -lswiftCore -lswiftSwiftOnoneSupport -lpthread
libtool: link: /home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/llvm-linux-x86_64/bin/clang -Wall -Wno-deprecated-declarations -fblocks -I/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/swift-corelibs-libdispatch/src/BlocksRuntime -isystem /usr/include/bsd -DLIBBSD_OVERLAY -g -O0 -o .libs/dispatch_apply dispatch_apply.o ./.libs/libbsdtests.a ../src/.libs/libdispatch.so -lbsd -L/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64 -lswiftCore -lswiftSwiftOnoneSupport -lpthread -Wl,-rpath -Wl,//usr/lib/swift/linux -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64
/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64/libswiftCore.so: undefined reference to `objc_release'
clang-4.0: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
swift/utils/build-script: fatal error: command terminated with a non-zero exit status 2, aborting

From the looks of the message it looks like swift was actually built but it's just that test cases weren't built. On this hunch, I went into my swift-corelibs-foundation folder and tried to execute:

ninja

Which tells me:

swift-corelibs-foundation does not use ninja. I would use the build-script line from the bots. That way you know you are doing the right thing.

Specifically:

URL: https://ci.swift.org/job/oss-swift-incremental-RA-linux-ubuntu-16_04/2413/consoleFull

Let me elaborate, when I say misconfigured, I mean you are missing a dependency.

···

On Mar 30, 2017, at 4:22 PM, Michael Gottesman via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

On Mar 30, 2017, at 12:31 PM, Mohit Athwani via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org <mailto:swift-users@swift.org>> wrote:

Given my lack of experience here, I'm not quite sure how to go about resolving these issues.

Thanks,

Mohit

I was just informed that swift-corelibs-foundation is actually using ninja! My bad!

Still I would use the preset from the bots. It should just work. Otherwise, you are missing a dependency or have differing versions/etc.

Michael

···

On Mar 30, 2017, at 4:25 PM, Michael Gottesman <mgottesman@apple.com> wrote:

On Mar 30, 2017, at 4:22 PM, Michael Gottesman via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org <mailto:swift-users@swift.org>> wrote:

On Mar 30, 2017, at 12:31 PM, Mohit Athwani via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org <mailto:swift-users@swift.org>> wrote:

+ make build-tests

ninja

Which tells me:

Specifically:

Let me elaborate, when I say misconfigured, I mean you are missing a dependency.

Thanks,

Mohit

Hey Mohit!

Were you able to build successfully?

Michael

···

On Mar 30, 2017, at 4:29 PM, Michael Gottesman <mgottesman@apple.com> wrote:

I was just informed that swift-corelibs-foundation is actually using ninja! My bad!

Still I would use the preset from the bots. It should just work. Otherwise, you are missing a dependency or have differing versions/etc.

Michael

On Mar 30, 2017, at 4:25 PM, Michael Gottesman <mgottesman@apple.com <mailto:mgottesman@apple.com>> wrote:

On Mar 30, 2017, at 4:22 PM, Michael Gottesman via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org <mailto:swift-users@swift.org>> wrote:

+ make build-tests

ninja

Which tells me:

Specifically:

Thanks,

Mohit

Hi Michael,

Thanks for checking up on me. I'm actually working on it right now. Will give you an update in an hour or so...

Cheers!

···

--
Mohit Athwani

On Apr 2, 2017, 12:59 AM -0700, Michael Gottesman <mgottesman@apple.com>, wrote:

Hey Mohit!

Michael

> On Mar 30, 2017, at 4:29 PM, Michael Gottesman <mgottesman@apple.com (mailto:mgottesman@apple.com)> wrote:
> I was just informed that swift-corelibs-foundation is actually using ninja! My bad!
>
> Still I would use the preset from the bots. It should just work. Otherwise, you are missing a dependency or have differing versions/etc.
>
> Michael
>
> > On Mar 30, 2017, at 4:25 PM, Michael Gottesman <mgottesman@apple.com (mailto:mgottesman@apple.com)> wrote:
> > >
> > > On Mar 30, 2017, at 4:22 PM, Michael Gottesman via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org (mailto:swift-users@swift.org)> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > On Mar 30, 2017, at 12:31 PM, Mohit Athwani via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org (mailto:swift-users@swift.org)> wrote:
> > > > I'm trying to get back to work starting from scratch on Swift Foundation on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system.
> > > >
> > > > I cloned the main swift repo and all of it's dependencies via ssh
> > > > ./swift/utils/update-checkout --clone-with-ssh and after running (taken from instructions from the Foundation site):
> > > >
> > > > swift/utils/build-script --xctest --foundation -t
> > > >
> > > > I get the following error:
> > > >
> > > > + make build-tests
> > > > /bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link /home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/llvm-linux-x86_64/bin/clang -Wall -Wno-deprecated-declarations -fblocks -I/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/swift-corelibs-libdispatch/src/BlocksRuntime -isystem /usr/include/bsd -DLIBBSD_OVERLAY -g -O0 -rpath /home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64 -o dispatch_apply dispatch_apply.o libbsdtests.la (http://libbsdtests.la/\) ../src/libdispatch.la (http://libdispatch.la/\) -lbsd -L/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64 -lswiftCore -lswiftSwiftOnoneSupport -lpthread
> > > > libtool: link: /home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/llvm-linux-x86_64/bin/clang -Wall -Wno-deprecated-declarations -fblocks -I/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/swift-corelibs-libdispatch/src/BlocksRuntime -isystem /usr/include/bsd -DLIBBSD_OVERLAY -g -O0 -o .libs/dispatch_apply dispatch_apply.o ./.libs/libbsdtests.a ../src/.libs/libdispatch.so -lbsd -L/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64 -lswiftCore -lswiftSwiftOnoneSupport -lpthread -Wl,-rpath -Wl,//usr/lib/swift/linux -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64
> > > > /home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64/libswiftCore.so: undefined reference to `objc_release'
> > > > clang-4.0: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
> > > > Makefile:1123: recipe for target 'dispatch_apply' failed
> > > > make: *** [dispatch_apply] Error 1
> > > > swift/utils/build-script: fatal error: command terminated with a non-zero exit status 2, aborting
> > > >
> > > > Looks like there is some undefined reference for objc_release in libswiftCore.
> > > >
> > > > From the looks of the message it looks like swift was actually built but it's just that test cases weren't built. On this hunch, I went into my swift-corelibs-foundation folder and tried to execute:
> > > >
> > > > ninja
> > > >
> > > > Which tells me:
> > > >
> > > > ninja: error: loading 'build.ninja': No such file or directory
> > >
> > > swift-corelibs-foundation does not use ninja. I would use the build-script line from the bots. That way you know you are doing the right thing.
> > >
> > > Specifically:
> > >
> > > URL: https://ci.swift.org/job/oss-swift-incremental-RA-linux-ubuntu-16_04/2413/consoleFull
> > >
> > > Preset: buildbot_incremental_linux
> > >
> > > If that does not work on your system, then something is misconfigured.
> >
> > Let me elaborate, when I say misconfigured, I mean you are missing a dependency.
> > >
> > > Also I wouldn't use --clone-with-ssh it is unnecessary.
> > >
> > >
> > > >
> > > > Given my lack of experience here, I'm not quite sure how to go about resolving these issues.
> > > >
> > > > Could somebody help me out here please.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks,
> > > >
> > > > Mohit
> > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > swift-users mailing list
> > > > swift-users@swift.org (mailto:swift-users@swift.org)
> > > > https://lists.swift.org/mailman/listinfo/swift-users
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > swift-users mailing list
> > > swift-users@swift.org (mailto:swift-users@swift.org)
> > > https://lists.swift.org/mailman/listinfo/swift-users

No worries. Just trying to be helpful = ).

Michael

···

On Apr 2, 2017, at 12:27 PM, Mohit Athwani <mohit.athwani@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for checking up on me. I'm actually working on it right now. Will give you an update in an hour or so...

Cheers!

--
Mohit Athwani
Mohit Athwani - Chico, California, indianios.guru, BITS, Pilani Dubai, California State University, Chico | about.me

On Apr 2, 2017, 12:59 AM -0700, Michael Gottesman <mgottesman@apple.com>, wrote:

Hey Mohit!

Michael

On Mar 30, 2017, at 4:29 PM, Michael Gottesman <mgottesman@apple.com <mailto:mgottesman@apple.com>> wrote:

Michael

On Mar 30, 2017, at 4:25 PM, Michael Gottesman <mgottesman@apple.com <mailto:mgottesman@apple.com>> wrote:

+ make build-tests

ninja

Which tells me:

Specifically:

Thanks,

Mohit

Hi Michael,

I just submitted my pull request:

Now waiting for an admin to initiate tests.

Thanks so much for your help!

Cheers!
Mohit

···

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 12:36 PM, Michael Gottesman <mgottesman@apple.com> wrote:

Michael

On Apr 2, 2017, at 12:27 PM, Mohit Athwani <mohit.athwani@gmail.com> > wrote:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for checking up on me. I'm actually working on it right now. Will
give you an update in an hour or so...

Cheers!

--
Mohit Athwani
Mohit Athwani - Chico, California, indianios.guru, BITS, Pilani Dubai, California State University, Chico | about.me

On Apr 2, 2017, 12:59 AM -0700, Michael Gottesman <mgottesman@apple.com>, > wrote:

Hey Mohit!

Michael

On Mar 30, 2017, at 4:29 PM, Michael Gottesman <mgottesman@apple.com> > wrote:

I was just informed that swift-corelibs-foundation is actually using
ninja! My bad!

Still I would use the preset from the bots. It should just work.
Otherwise, you are missing a dependency or have differing versions/etc.

Michael

On Mar 30, 2017, at 4:25 PM, Michael Gottesman <mgottesman@apple.com> > wrote:

On Mar 30, 2017, at 4:22 PM, Michael Gottesman via swift-users < > swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

On Mar 30, 2017, at 12:31 PM, Mohit Athwani via swift-users < > swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

I'm trying to get back to work starting from scratch on Swift Foundation
on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system.

+ make build-tests
/bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link /home/mohit/Documents/swift-so
urce/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/llvm-linux-x86_64/bin/clang -Wall
-Wno-deprecated-declarations -fblocks -I/home/mohit/Documents/swift-
/usr/include/bsd -DLIBBSD_OVERLAY -g -O0 -rpath
/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/
swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64 -o dispatch_apply
dispatch_apply.o libbsdtests.la ../src/libdispatch.la -lbsd
-L/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert
/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64 -lswiftCore
-lswiftSwiftOnoneSupport -lpthread
libtool: link: /home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/llvm-linux-x86_64/bin/clang
-Wall -Wno-deprecated-declarations -fblocks -I/home/mohit/Documents/swift-
/usr/include/bsd -DLIBBSD_OVERLAY -g -O0 -o .libs/dispatch_apply
dispatch_apply.o ./.libs/libbsdtests.a ../src/.libs/libdispatch.so -lbsd
-L/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert
/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64 -lswiftCore
-lswiftSwiftOnoneSupport -lpthread -Wl,-rpath -Wl,//usr/lib/swift/linux
-Wl,-rpath -Wl,/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAsse
rt/swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64
/home/mohit/Documents/swift-source/build/Ninja-DebugAssert/
swift-linux-x86_64/lib/swift/linux/x86_64/libswiftCore.so: undefined
reference to `objc_release'
clang-4.0: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
invocation)
swift/utils/build-script: fatal error: command terminated with a non-zero
exit status 2, aborting

Looks like there is some undefined reference for objc_release in
libswiftCore.

From the looks of the message it looks like swift was actually built but
it's just that test cases weren't built. On this hunch, I went into my
swift-corelibs-foundation folder and tried to execute:

ninja

Which tells me:

swift-corelibs-foundation does not use ninja. I would use the build-script
line from the bots. That way you know you are doing the right thing.

Specifically:

URL: https://ci.swift.org/job/oss-swift-incremental-RA-
linux-ubuntu-16_04/2413/consoleFull

Let me elaborate, when I say misconfigured, I mean you are missing a
dependency.

Given my lack of experience here, I'm not quite sure how to go about
resolving these issues.

Thanks,

Mohit

Hi Michael,

I just submitted my pull request: Added code to detect UTF32 files for NSString contentsOfURL:usedEncoding by mohitathwani · Pull Request #928 · apple/swift-corelibs-foundation · GitHub
Now waiting for an admin to initiate tests.

Thanks so much for your help!

HTH!

Michael

···

On Apr 2, 2017, at 1:17 PM, Mohit Athwani <mohit.athwani@gmail.com> wrote:

Cheers!
Mohit

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 12:36 PM, Michael Gottesman <mgottesman@apple.com <mailto:mgottesman@apple.com>> wrote:

Michael

On Apr 2, 2017, at 12:27 PM, Mohit Athwani <mohit.athwani@gmail.com <mailto:mohit.athwani@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi Michael,

Cheers!

--
Mohit Athwani

On Apr 2, 2017, 12:59 AM -0700, Michael Gottesman <mgottesman@apple.com <mailto:mgottesman@apple.com>>, wrote:

Hey Mohit!

Michael

On Mar 30, 2017, at 4:29 PM, Michael Gottesman <mgottesman@apple.com <mailto:mgottesman@apple.com>> wrote:

Michael

+ make build-tests

ninja

Which tells me:

Specifically:

Thanks,

Mohit