The Swift Language Guide and Reference lack an index

Hi all!
I believe that any good technical book must have an index, but I can not find anything similar in the Language Guide and Language Reference. This is very frustrating because it makes them much harder to read and use as a reference. Is there any chance they get it eventually?

Thanks,
Aleksandr

1 Like

Have you tried using a search engine or ⌘F? The following is a valid Google search query:

"optional chaining" site:https://docs.swift.org/swift-book/

For the reference portion of the book, you can use the grammar summary as a sort of index. If you have a local copy of the ePub version, you could grep through it to find terms and such.

Otherwise, suggestions like yours are a good candidate for Feedback Assistant.

1 Like

It's an epub or website aka a digital record. Apple's Books app could search an epub and Google could search a website. I don't think any digital records need an index as long as you could search the content of it.

Thank you all. I've got it. I'd yet rather have an index, but it maybe I'm wrong.

I'd yet rather have an index, but it maybe I'm wrong.

You’re not wrong. A good-quality human-authored index is a very valuable tool. It’s also a lot of work. I’m going to reiterate Kyle Murray’s earlier advice: You should file an enhancement request for this.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ DTS @ Apple

1 Like

Hi eskimo! Glad to see you here also.
Here is my request's id: FB6813949

Terms of Service

Privacy Policy

Cookie Policy