SwiftScript

Swift is great. I'd like to see a syntactically equivalent script language available for OS X, iOS and other platforms.

This is a big task, and one that probably falls way outside of the objectives of the core swift language evolution.

But... Does anyone else think it's a good idea / bad idea? How and where should we start ?

···

Sent from my iPad

I’m not sure if this is specifically what you’re thinking of, but we aren’t interested in a language variant or dialect as part of the Swift project. Instead, we’d prefer to improve the Swift language itself to be appealing for solving the problems that people use scripting languages for.

-Chris

···

On Dec 3, 2015, at 3:22 PM, Dave Thornton <dave.thornton@me.com> wrote:

Swift is great. I'd like to see a syntactically equivalent script language available for OS X, iOS and other platforms.

This is a big task, and one that probably falls way outside of the objectives of the core swift language evolution.

But... Does anyone else think it's a good idea / bad idea? How and where should we start ?

I started a GitHub project (Apous) to test out the feasibility of using Swift like this. Now that Swift has a built-in package manager (including static lib creation), this is already possible today with just a few wrappers to invoke the compiling and running. Nothing else is really needed from the languages other than core libs implemented for the target platforms and additional libraries to flush out what is missing to make it more useful.

-David

···

On Dec 3, 2015, at 3:32 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner@apple.com> wrote:

On Dec 3, 2015, at 3:22 PM, Dave Thornton <dave.thornton@me.com> wrote:

I’m not sure if this is specifically what you’re thinking of, but we aren’t interested in a language variant or dialect as part of the Swift project. Instead, we’d prefer to improve the Swift language itself to be appealing for solving the problems that people use scripting languages for.

-Chris