Swift to participate in GSoC 2019!

I am thrilled to announced that Swift has been selected as a participating open source project in Google Summer of Code 2019!

What is Google Summer of Code?

Google Summer of Code (GSoC) is a yearly program sponsored by Google to encourage students to participate in open source development. Students work on a 3 month programming project with an open source organization during their break from university and receive a stipend. Participating students work with a mentor who shepherds their work and reviews their progress.

Student applications start on March 25, 2019

The official application to GSoC starts on March 25. Before then, we encourage all prospective participates to socialize their ideas on the respective Development forum categories. Please tag all posts with the GSoC 2019 tag so that they are easily discoverable by others (e.g., students and mentors) interested in GSoC.

There are several open project ideas available on Swift.org — but potential projects do not need to be restricted to these ideas. Regardless if you are looking into working on a suggested project or one of your own creation, you are strongly encouraged to engage on the forums before applications are accepted to help shape your idea and ensure a good alignment with a mentor.

Prospective Mentors

Several individuals have already volunteered to be mentors, but more mentors are welcome! If you have never mentored a GSoC project but are curious, it is not too late to volunteer! Please contact
@GSoc-admins (or email gsoc2019-admins at forums.swift.org) if you are interested, with “GSoC Mentor” in the subject line.

Key Dates

• March 25 - Applications open
  • April 9 - Deadline to file your application
  • May 6 - Accepted student proposals are announced
  • May 27 - Coding begins
17 Likes

Check out new ideas added for Standard Library and LLDB!

3 Likes

Hello,

I am interested in Google Summer of Code 2019 as a swift contributor, especially, Implement Code Formatting Functionality for SourceKit-LSP.
I tried to contact with the mentors, but I have no idea how to contact with them because I couldn't find their contact info.
Could you please tell me how to contact with them.

Thank you!

Hi Keita,

I see you posted in the SourceKit-LSP forum already and attached the gsoc-2019 tag, that will be enough to get attention from the right people :+1:

1 Like