Swift.org Blog: REPL Support for Swift Packages

Hi,

There is a new blog post titled REPL Support for Swift Packages on the Swift.org website. It discusses the new REPL support that was recently merged to SwiftPM.

Feel free to use this thread for any questions or discussions.

14 Likes

Will this affect Xcode Playgrounds in any way? Maybe in future releases? Like drag & drop a SwiftPM package from the finder onto/ into a Playground to experiment with it there?

1 Like

swift run --repl provides the option to import targets, but what are your thoughts on automatically importing targets? Being able to run code before showing a prompt might also be a good option, and could yield some interesting tooling.

Yeah, I was also thinking of a similar thing where we would pre-import the root package's targets. I'll try to discuss the possibilities with @Jim_Ingham soon.

What kind of scenarios are you thinking? Like boilerplate-y setup code?

1 Like

Specifically there was talk of setting up a vapor console similar to rails console where users could execute ORM queries and whatnot.

Something like:

$ vapor console
> Todo.query(on: conn).all()
[{id:1, title: "Wash The Dog"},{id:2, title:"take out the trash"}]
>

The details are a little fuzzy, but for that to work you'd need to import a few things (Fluent, Vapor, The app itself), run configurations, and retain a database connection (let conn = databaseConnection).

I'll --repl up and running so I can give you a more solid answer.

I'm sure folks would think of other uses too, but that's what I'm looking at right now.

2 Likes

Any idea what might be going wrong here?

$ swift run --repl
Compile CYaml src/writer.c
Compile CYaml src/emitter.c
Compile CYaml src/scanner.c
Compile CYaml src/parser.c
Compile CYaml src/api.c
Compile CYaml src/reader.c
Compile Swift Module 'Yams' (16 sources)

Linking ./.build/x86_64-apple-macosx10.10/debug/libYams__REPL.dylib
ld: unexpected token: !tapi-tbd-v3 file '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks//CoreFoundation.framework/CoreFoundation.tbd' for architecture x86_64

<unknown>:0: error: link command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

$ swift -v
Apple Swift version 4.2-dev (LLVM aeaaca98ed, Clang 1ddef2249a, Swift 20bb815b62)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin17.7.0
/Library/Developer/Toolchains/swift-DEVELOPMENT-SNAPSHOT-2018-10-03-a.xctoolchain/usr/bin/lldb "--repl=-enable-objc-interop -sdk /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk -color-diagnostics"

Interesting. I can't really reproduce this but it most likely due to a difference in OS or Xcode installation. Can you try it with the latest Xcode beta? Also, please file a JIRA!

1 Like

https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-8946

Any other logs or info I can grab for you?

Might be a bunch of silly questions:

• Is there a way to integrate REPL in to custom tooling?
  • Does REPL provide a way to observe it's output?

REPL support for SwiftPM looks almost like Xcode Playground without the UI layer.

3 Likes

Isn't this feature included in Xcode 10.1 (swift 4.2.1)?

I updated my Xcode to 10.1 and tried to use this feature by swift run --repl, but got error: unknown option --repl; use --help to list available options

Bold:~ shane$ swift --version
Apple Swift version 4.2.1 (swiftlang-1000.11.42 clang-1000.11.45.1)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin18.2.0
Bold:~ shane$ swift package --version
Apple Swift Package Manager - Swift 4.2.0 (swiftpm-14460.2)

Nope, this feature aligns with Swift 5 release.

Got it, look forward to it. Thanks!

I am trying this "run --repl" on an Ubuntu 18.04 dev machine:

# swift --version 
Swift version 5.0-dev (LLVM f63b283c71, Clang 41ac4c4262, Swift bbfc0649ed)
Target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

# git clone https://github.com/krzyzanowskim/CryptoSwift.git
# cd CryptoSwift
# swift run --repl
<unknown>:0: error: unable to execute command: <unknown>

Not sure where to go from here.