Swift Concurrency: Feedback Wanted!

Okay, cool, that makes sense – I probably just got mixed up with the proposed rules for async let and didn’t properly test.

1 Like

I’m confused. Can’t you just call synchronous functions inside async {} to do that?

I think that only works if you don't need whatever inside the async block to complete before the sync function returns.

I’m using an actor right now primarily for isolation, so none of methods are actually async at all. This makes it really easy to reason about thread safety (no reentrancy), while still providing a nice async interface to make it easier to reason about what code is running in what context, and where the potential suspension points are.

The feedback I have is that because the public API is async in practice, it feels logical to me that a synchronous actor method should be able to fulfill an asynchronous protocol requirement. The way I’m imagining this working is that if you’re ever interacting with a dynamic instance that’s not know to be self, or is erased by the protocol type, you’re forced to call the method asynchronously. But the normal synchronous dispatch still works the same way it does today.

What do you think about this as a potential enhancement? Or is the lack of this just a gap in the current implementation? It feels similar to how non-throwing methods can fulfill throwing protocol requirements.

2 Likes

I just noticed there's no way to create a continuation with a concrete Error type, only Never or Error. Is there time for an amendment to that proposal to add those APIs?

This was not overlooked during review; apparently, it is the intended design, and the possibility of creating a continuation with a concrete Error type is merely future-proofing "in case" we get typed errors.

This should already be the case:

Thanks! It appears not to be the case yet, here's an example compiler error:

SyncActor/SyncActor/Repository.swift:15:8: error: actor-isolated instance method 'clone(from:)' cannot be used to satisfy a protocol requirement
  func clone(from url: URL) throws {}
       ^
SyncActor/SyncActor/Repository.swift:15:8: note: add '@asyncHandler' to function 'clone(from:)' to create an implicit asynchronous context
       ^
  @asyncHandler 
SyncActor/SyncActor/Repository.swift:15:8: note: add 'nonisolated' to 'clone(from:)' to make this instance method not isolated to the actor
       ^
  nonisolated 

Adding @asyncHandler as the fix-it suggests results in the error "'asyncHandler' attribute is only valid when experimental concurrency is enabled". I'll file a bug about it in any case.

Background info: I am trying to make a (core data inspired) data model that leverages the type system as much as possible together with features like resultBuilder.

0302-concurrent-value-and-concurrent-closures says that (literal) key paths are ok if the underlying types are sendable. Yet every kind of key path I try gives the same error:
Stored property '...path' of 'Sendable'-conforming generic struct 'AttributeDescription' has non-sendable type ...
I tried to make the AttributeDescription @unchecked Sendable just for the time being but that gives Unknown attribute 'unchecked'

According to swift-evolution the proposal is accepted but not listed as implemented in Swift 5.5.
However this post does list this proposal and Sendable works in other circumstances.
Is KeyPath special is some way or more likely what did I miss?

Running beta 2 of both Xcode and Monterey with these compiler flags -Xfrontend -enable-experimental-concurrency -warn-concurrency

protocol Entity : Sendable
{
}

protocol Attribute : Sendable
{
}

struct AttributeDescription<E,A> : Sendable where E:Entity, A:Attribute 
{
    let path: KeyPath<E,A>             //preferred
    let paritalPath: PartialKeyPath<E> //half way there
    let anyPath: AnyKeyPath            //if need be
    let literalPath = \Person.name     // not even this ???
}

extension String : Attribute 
{
}

struct Person : Entity
{
    let name: String
}

The new concurrency features/api is great.

One thing I still find confusing is the structured concurrency api. It would be great if someone would show some real world examples using this api.

I think I love the structured concurrency and I've been having a good play (and have largely converted a personal app over already). That said in some experimentation I'm being stymied and I'm not sure if it is understanding (possibly documentation) gaps or bugs in current implementation.

I've been experimenting with creating my own simple AsyncSequences in ways that actually cut across a lot of the structured concurrency features. I know AsyncStream should make this simpler but I wanted to implement manually to see how it really worked (and I also couldn't find AsyncStream so maybe it isn't available yet).

[Edit: I think I've found the issue, something frequently goes wrong when an continuation is resumed from an actor context. I think I have a solution where the actor manages the continuation but returns it to be called from outside the actor instead of calling it directly itself. Raised as: SR-14875]

I think in particular I'm not seeing the reentrancy behaviour I expect. For example this doesn't work (or at least works only occasionally - maybe I'm missing something obvious):

AsyncTimerActorSequence
@available(macOS 12.0, iOS 15.0, *)
public struct AsyncTimerActorSequence : AsyncSequence {

public typealias AsyncIterator = Iterator
    public typealias Element = Void

let interval: TimeInterval

public init(interval: TimeInterval) {
        self.interval = interval
    }

public func makeAsyncIterator() -> Iterator {
        let itr = Iterator()
        Task {
            await itr.start(interval: interval)
        }
        return itr
    }

public actor Iterator : AsyncIteratorProtocol {

private var timer: Timer?
        private var continuation: CheckedContinuation<(), Never>?

fileprivate init() {}

fileprivate func start(interval: TimeInterval) {
            let t = Timer(fire: .now, interval: interval, repeats: true) { [weak self] _ in
                guard let s = self else { return }
                Task.detached {
                    await s.fireContinuation()
                }
            }
            timer = t
            RunLoop.main.add(t, forMode: .default)
        }

private func fireContinuation()  {
            continuation?.resume()
            continuation = nil
        }

public func next() async throws -> ()? {
            await withCheckedContinuation { continuation in
                self.continuation = continuation
            }
            return ()
        }

deinit {
            timer?.invalidate()
        }
    }
}

When I use a class instead it seems to work well although I worry about races setting and firing the continuation which is why I leant on the actor. I thought the reentrancy at suspension points meant this would work.

It might be that there is some information that I'm so far missing, possibly in relation to limitations of reentrancy in Actors or the interaction between Actors and continuations.

"AsyncTimerSequence (class based iterator - works but I worry about races setting/getting/clearing continuation
@available(macOS 12.0, iOS 15.0, *)
public struct AsyncTimerSequence : AsyncSequence {

public typealias AsyncIterator = Iterator
    public typealias Element = Void

let interval: TimeInterval

public init(interval: TimeInterval) {
        self.interval = interval
    }

public func makeAsyncIterator() -> Iterator {
        Iterator(interval: interval)
    }

public final class Iterator : AsyncIteratorProtocol {

private var timer: Timer?
        private var continuation: CheckedContinuation<(), Never>?

init(interval: TimeInterval) {
            let t = Timer(fire: .now, interval: interval, repeats: true) { [weak self] _ in
                if let continuation = self?.continuation {
                    // I worry about a race condition here but I think it is safe if we don't resume the continuation until it has been cleared.
                    self?.continuation = nil
                    continuation.resume()
                }
            }
            timer = t
            RunLoop.main.add(t, forMode: .default)
        }

public func next() async throws -> ()? {
            await withCheckedContinuation { continuation in
                self.continuation = continuation
            }
        }

deinit {
            timer?.invalidate()
        }
    }
}

Note that these versions are only robust to the situation where next() is not called multiple times concurrently (I have a version with an array as a queue - need to look up the state of dequeue) but I don't think I've seen anything in the documentation disallowing concurrent calls to next(). I think it is easy to write sequences which don't handle that properly and it may be a source of bugs. Clearly in the normal for try await let foo in sequence { you won't get concurrent calls but if people start unrolling or async leting a number of items I can see it happening.

An additional albeit temporary complication is differences between builds currently available as the features and syntax evolves and also various compiler flags that affect the concurrency behaviour. Are the 5.5 snapshots the right ones to be using or should I be using the trunk snapshots or whichever happens to be the newest build on a given day? Is there a good way to track what the changes are between snapshots or compared with Xcode releases?

It would be nice, if Task.sleep would also accept a non-negative TimeIntervall. Personally, nanoseconds in UInt64 are hard to read.

let duration: TimeIntervall = 2.0
await Task.sleep(duration)
// vs
await Task.sleep(2 * 1_000_000_000)  // Two seconds

Or, with this extension functions:

private extension TimeInterval {
    var seconds: TimeInterval {
        self
    }
    var minutes: TimeInterval {
        seconds * 60
    }
    var hours: TimeInterval {
        minutes * 60
    }
    var days: TimeInterval {
        hours * 24
    }
}

private extension Int {
    var seconds: TimeInterval {
        Double(self)
    }
    var minutes: TimeInterval {
        seconds * 60.0
    }
    var hours: TimeInterval {
        minutes * 60.0
    }
    var days: TimeInterval {
        hours * 24.0
    }
}

await Task.sleep(2.seconds)

In Kotlin, a similar function exists

delay(2.seconds)

// with
suspend fun delay(duration: Duration)
val Int.seconds get() = Duration.seconds(this)
2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, we aimed to provide such nice “duration” based api but had to defer it out of this release because we want to holistically address the general topic of time and deadline APIs together. Hope we’ll get back to it soon enough :slight_smile: Once we have a duration and deadline types we can offer a new sleep that would take such arguments :+1:

11 Likes

(Also note that days are not uniform lengths, typically they range from 23 to 25 hours long. From past experience, designing duration related APIs that correctly traffic in days is nontrivial and produces results that surprise users of the API)

10 Likes

Quick question: If Actor types do not support inheritance, then why is final actor legal?

Right now, final still has an ABI impact, where it means "something that will never ever be subclassed or overridden". The Core Team guidance on actor inheritance is that it is not part of the proposal, but they/we did not shut the door on it completely. Allowing final lets us keep the door open in the ABI and language to change our minds if actor inheritance turns out to be very important, and we can ban it later on if we decide that Swift will never have actor inheritance.

Doug

11 Likes

Question about Async Sequence. Is it valid to await multiple calls to next() concurrently? It appears from current code that it isn't allowed as the iterator would be captured in the async let so it seems that it isn't possible to async let from an AsyncSequence. Is that correct?

If it is allowed it will have design implications on AsyncSequence implementations. If it isn't allowed then it may impede some potential unrolled loop approaches and there probably should be clear guidance on it if not alerts and warnings.

Example of how it could be useful if it was possible (although probably not worth the overhead in the implementation of AsyncSequences):

var array = [UInt16]()
var iterator = myByteAsyncSequence.makeAsyncIterator()
while true {
  async let bottomByte = try await iterator.next()
  async let topByte = try await iterator.next()
  let val = await UInt16(bottomByte ?? 0) + (UInt16(topByte ?? 0) << 8)
  array.append(val)
  guard  topByte != nil else { break }
}
2 Likes

Makes sense! But then, wouldn’t it make sense to force the usage of final? This way, if and when actor inheritance becomes a thing, it win’t be a breaking change, whereas without final, an implicit inheritance potential would appear out of nowhere and the migrator would need to add final on every actor to preserve the semantics. On the other hand, if Swift never gains actor inheritance, then the final would be nonsensical. On the day when actor inheritance becomes forever illegal, the final actor would become deprecated in favor of simply actor. In both cases, forcing the usage of final seems to lead to least amount of headache. For now, i just spell out final explicitly for the sake of clarity and consistency with classes. What do you think?

Per the discussion on SE-0306, the expectation is that actor inheritance will not come back. Forcing everyone to write final on every actor is inconsistent with that direction. Allowing final lets folks who have ABI considerations (which is a tiny, tiny slice of the Swift ecosystem) lock down their actor ABI for actor types they know will never be subclassable no matter what we do in the language. For everyone else, it's irrelevant: actor inheritance itself is not permitted, and if it came back, no code outside of the actor's defining module can be impacted because open is not permitted.

Doug

2 Likes

Makes total sense! Thank you very much for your time!