Swift compiler optimization

For a project I am currently using the swift compiler front end to generate LLVM IR. I need to analyze the IR to find run time dependencies between variable read/writes with the end goal of finding parallelism.

For this it is important that I am able to generate LLVM IR that is unoptimized and all the load and store instructions are present. It works well with clang with the -O0 flag.

However with swiftc I have the following issue on this simple example:

func returnInputSum(test: Int) -> Int {
    var a = 5
    var b = 10
    var c = a + b
    return c
}

with swiftc -Onone this becomes(removed debug etc.):

entry:
  %a = alloca i64, align 8
  %b = alloca i64, align 8
  %c = alloca i64, align 8
  store i64 5, i64* %a, align 8
  store i64 10, i64* %b align 8

store i64 15, i64* %c, align 8

ret i64 15

so instead of loading a and b, inserting an "add" instruction and storing the result in c, the compiler seems to evaluate 5 + 10 directory to store the 15 in c. Then the return does not even return c but an immediate value this is a problem for me because I want to see all load/store instructions.

when I use clang with c/c++ code it works just fine and I get what I expect there:

%a = alloca i32, align 4
  %b = alloca i32, align 4
  %c = alloca i32, align 4
  store i32 5, i32* %a, align 
  store i32 10, i32* %b, align 4

%0 = load i32, i32* %b, align 4
  %1 = load i32, i32* %a, align 4
  %add = add nsw i32 %0, %1
  store i32 %add, i32* %c, align 4

%2 = load i32, i32* %c, align 4
  ret i32 %2

is there any way to actually make the compiler do no optimization at all on the LLVM IR code? or am I not understanding something important here? I know that before generating LLVM IR there is SIL pass with some optimization but I am under the assumption that with the -Onone flag this should also be turned "off"?

Thank you!

Not sure it that is the case here, but as far as I my limited knowledge goes swift compiler pipeline has this concept of guaranteed optimizations at SIL stages that are SIL passes that will run even for Onone. If I'm not mistaken there is some mandatory inlining being done in some cases... You can use -Onone -emit-silgen to see the raw SIL from the type checked AST and then -Onone -emit-sil to compare that is the output after mandatory passes.

cc @Erik_Eckstein

The compiler does basic data-flow analysis on local variables at the SIL level. There is no way to disable this because some of the results of that analysis are required in order to make certain code patterns legal.

3 Likes

thank you for your response. is there some place where I can learn more about the legal pattern concept? I find it confusing that something like constant propagation would be required when in clang what I am trying to do works just fine.