stuck in Getting Started: swift-build missing on Mac OS X? And invalid signature?

Hi,

I am following the Getting Started page at Swift.org - Getting Started and I have a problem when arriving at “Using the build system”.

When I type the “swift build —help” command, I get the following error:

$ swift build --help
error: unable to invoke subcommand: /Library/Developer/Toolchains/swift-2.2-SNAPSHOT-2016-02-08-a.xctoolchain/usr/bin/swift-build (No such file or directory)

And indeed the diagnostic is right: there is no binary named swift-build there.

Here is what I did:

- I downloaded from https://swift.org/download/: <https://swift.org/download/:&gt;

• the Xcode Swift Development Snapshot (dated February 8, 2016)
• its Debugging symbols
• the Xcode Swift 2.2 Snapshot (dated February 8, 2016)
• its Debugging symbols

- I installed all four packages for all users.

- I changed my PATH as suggested:

$ export PATH=/Library/Developer/Toolchains/swift-latest.xctoolchain/usr/bin:"${PATH}"

- I ran Xcode 7.3B3, and selected the toolchain named "Xcode Swift Development Snapshot 2016-02-08 (a)”

Xcode restarted and seems OK with it, with the new button in the toolbar as expect

- I checked the /Library/Developer/Content:

$ cd /Library/Developer/Toolchains/
$ ls -la
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 Feb 11 11:34 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root admin 170 Feb 11 11:14 ..
drwxr-xr-x 6 root wheel 204 Feb 11 11:34 swift-2.2-SNAPSHOT-2016-02-08-a.xctoolchain
drwxr-xr-x 6 root wheel 204 Feb 11 11:27 swift-DEVELOPMENT-SNAPSHOT-2016-02-08-a.xctoolchain
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 73 Feb 11 11:34 swift-latest.xctoolchain -> /Library/Developer/Toolchains/swift-2.2-SNAPSHOT-2016-02-08-a.xctoolchain

- I checked the current swift:

$ which swift
/Library/Developer/Toolchains/swift-latest.xctoolchain/usr/bin/swift
$ swift --version
Apple Swift version 2.2-dev (LLVM ee6c2618e5, Clang 9b95f4af98, Swift d45cca1dc1)
Target: x86_64-apple-macosx10.9

(So it seems the selected toolchain in Xcode doesn’t correspond to the toolchain pointed to by the swift-latest.xctoolchain symbolic link. Fine)

- I went back to Xcode and noticed a button in the toolchain preference pane that appears when hovering over it. Clicking it shows a pop-up with the option to “Verify code signature…”. Doing it yielded the following error:

“Xcode Swift DEVELOPMENT Snapshot 2016-02-08 (a)” does not have a valid signature: a sealed resource is missing or invalid

This for both installed toolchains

“Xcode Swift 2.2 Snapshot 2016-02-08 (a)” does not have a valid signature: a sealed resource is missing or invalid

- I tried to prefix swift with xcrun, which shows xcrun doesn’t respect the selected toolchain:

$ xcrun swift --version
Apple Swift version 2.2 (swiftlang-703.0.6.5 clang-703.0.21)
$ swift --version
Apple Swift version 2.2-dev (LLVM ee6c2618e5, Clang 9b95f4af98, Swift d45cca1dc1)

So are the snapshots really broken? Or is it Xcode signature check that is broken?\
Where is my swift-build?

Thanks,

Jean-Denis

The 2.2 release will not include the Swift package manager. The 3.0
snapshots include it.

Dmitri

···

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 3:15 AM, Jean-Denis Muys via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

Hi,

I am following the Getting Started page at Swift.org - Getting Started
and I have a problem when arriving at “Using the build system”.

When I type the “swift build —help” command, I get the following error:

--
main(i,j){for(i=2;;i++){for(j=2;j<i;j++){if(!(i%j)){j=0;break;}}if
(j){printf("%d\n",i);}}} /*Dmitri Gribenko <gribozavr@gmail.com>*/