@StateObject not initialized at init of the view

XCode 12.4

I have a view inside my project that have a @StateObject viewModel that is not initialized when the view is init.

So when the viewModel property is triggered inside the body, I'll get the following warning:
Accessing StateObject's object without being installed on a View. This will create a new instance each time.

I understand that StateObject wrappers have a @autoclosure closure so my object is not initialized right away. But how can I solve the warning ?

Here's the code:

struct MyView: View {
    @StateObject var viewModel = MyViewModel()

var body: some View {
        VStack(spacing: 0) {

switch viewModel.state {  // warning hits here
            case .initial, .loading:
                shimmer
                    .padding(.horizontal, 16)

case .success, .finished, .refreshing:
                content
                    .padding(.horizontal, 16)

case .failure(let error):
                ErrorView(error: error)
            }
        }
       // ...
    }

The snippet looks correct to me. Check if MyView receives a different id or is always recreated as a brand new view, which would cause the cached viewModel to be discarded (same would apply to a State wrapped value).

The @autoclosure part of StateObject makes the wrapper lazy and what prevents MyViewModel() to be executed over and over again, that is not what's causing your issue.

How do you check id of a view ?

I meant that you “might“ be using id up the view hierarchy. If the id changes, then the view is reconstructed (don‘t confuse this with re-intialization), the cached data is discarded and you get a new set.

Re-initialization happens a lot in SwiftUI, and that‘s by design, but things like State and StateObject will store the value internally and restore it after the view was re-intialized. I personally wish that State was a bit more like StateObject, but unfortunately State is not lazy.

This blog post might be interesting: @StateObject and @ObservedObject in SwiftUI | Matt Moriarity

Are you accessing the view model from within the init of MyView or from outside the view (likely somewhere from the parent)? That‘s illegal.

I've read the article, and seen Explanation behind the error? "Accessing StateObject's object without being installed on a View. This will create a new instance each time." also mentioning the issue of accessing stateObject from outside the view.

This is not the case here, since the object is not init before the body of MyView (viewModel.state)

Ok I understand I don't see any usage of .id up the view hierarchy