SE-0331: Remove Sendable conformance from unsafe pointer types

Hello Swift community,

The review of SE-0331 " Remove Sendable conformance from unsafe pointer types" begins now and runs through December 10, 2021.

Reviews are an important part of the Swift evolution process. All review feedback should be either on this forum thread or, if you would like to keep your feedback private, directly to the review manager. When emailing the review manager directly, please keep the proposal link at the top of the message.

What goes into a review?

The goal of the review process is to improve the proposal under review through constructive criticism and, eventually, determine the direction of Swift. When writing your review, here are some questions you might want to answer in your review:

• What is your evaluation of the proposal?
  • Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
  • Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
  • If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
  • How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

More information about the Swift evolution process is available at

https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/process.md

Thank you,

Doug Gregor
Review Manager

16 Likes

+1, this seems obvious to me, and fixes a bad footgun. We should have caught this when implicit synthesization of sendable was added.

-Chris

9 Likes

+1. I don’t think it needed to to go through this ceremony. It is an obvious collective oversight and it was not caught too late. We don’t have a ton of code depending on it. I think an amendment to the original proposal would suffice for such cases.

2 Likes

+1 This is obviously the correct move.

Thank you, everyone. The Core Team has accepted this proposal.

Doug

4 Likes