Hello Swift community,
The second review of SE-0299, Extending Static Member Lookup in Generic Contexts begins now and runs through February 15, 2021. The previous review thread is here. By comparison with the previous revision of the proposal, this version adds an additional requirement that static members in protocol extensions have
Self == ConcreteType constraints matching the types of the members in order for contextual member lookup to find them.
Reviews are an important part of the Swift evolution process. All review feedback should be either on this forum thread or, if you would like to keep your feedback private, directly to the review manager. When emailing the review manager directly, please keep the proposal link at the top of the message.
What goes into a review?
The goal of the review process is to improve the proposal under review through constructive criticism and, eventually, determine the direction of Swift. When writing your review, here are some questions you might want to answer in your review:
- What is your evaluation of the proposal?
- Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
- Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
- If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
- How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?
More information about the Swift evolution process is available at