SE-0248: String Gaps and Missing APIs

The review of SE-0248: String Gaps and Missing APIs begins now and runs through March 22, 2019.

The proposal is written by @Michael_Ilseman.

Reviews are an important part of the Swift evolution process. All review feedback should be either on this forum thread or, if you would like to keep your feedback private, directly to me as the review manager via email or direct message on the forums. If you send me email, please put "SE-0248" somewhere in the subject line.

What goes into a review of a proposal?

The goal of the review process is to improve the proposal under review through constructive criticism and, eventually, determine the direction of Swift.

When reviewing a proposal, here are some questions to consider:

• What is your evaluation of the proposal?

• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

• If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Thank you for contributing to Swift!

Ted Kremenek
Review Manager

13 Likes
  • What is your evaluation of the proposal?

:+1:, +1

• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

yes

• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

yes

• If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

most of the proposed are standard in most languages.

• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

quick read and experience not having for example the isASCII functions

Enthusiastic +1. I’ve dealt with enough web APIs that don’t anticipate non-ASCII characters that the isASCII bits here are enough for a +1 from me.

This proposal is more than welcome, some nice overall API improvements. Especially being able to access the original String from a Substring may be very useful in some specific cases.

+1 for me.

Proposal Accepted

This proposal has been accepted. Thank you to everyone who participated in the review of this proposal.

2 Likes