SE-0205: withUnsafePointer(to: _:) and withUnsafeBytes(of: _:) for immutable values

The review of SE-0205: withUnsafePointer(to:_:) and withUnsafeBytes(of:_:) for immutable values begins now and runs through April 11, 2018.

Reviews are an important part of the Swift evolution process. All reviews should be made in this thread on the Swift forums or, if you would like to keep your feedback private, directly to me via email or forum DM as the review manager.

What goes into a review of a proposal?

The goal of the review process is to improve the proposal under review through constructive criticism and, eventually, determine the direction of Swift.

When reviewing a proposal, here are some questions to consider:

• What is your evaluation of the proposal?

• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

• If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Thanks,
Ben Cohen
Review Manager

4 Likes

Yes, please, this is a significant and worthwhile improvement. Fixed-size arrays are needed in Swift (see SR-4548), and this brings us a step closer to at least being able to implement them ourselves without performance and mutability issues (SR-4649).

Effort invested: Read the proposal, went back through the bugs I logged last year to verify that this would indeed address some of my concerns.

Anders

+1

Since it is a source compatible change, yes.

Yes.

Reading the proposal.

+1

Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
Yes

Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
Yes

If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those? I haven't.

How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

I've used related swift API and gave the proposal a quick reading.

1 Like

The review of this proposal is now over. The core team has decided to accept the proposal.

3 Likes