SE-0200: "Raw" mode string literals

Hello Swift Community,

The review of SE-0200: "Raw" mode string literals begins now and runs through March 26, 2018.

Reviews are an important part of the Swift evolution process. All reviews should be made in this thread on the Swift forums or, if you would like to keep your feedback private, directly in email to me as the review manager.

The goal of the review process is to improve the proposal under review through constructive criticism and, eventually, determine the direction of Swift. When writing your review, here are some questions you might want to answer in your review:

• What is your evaluation of the proposal?
  • Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
  • Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
  • If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
  • How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

More information about the Swift evolution process is available on the Swift Evolution website.

As always, thank you for participating in Swift Evolution.

Doug Gregor
Review Manager

2 Likes

] What is your evaluation of the proposal?

I vote yes/

] Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes.

] Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Pretty much. AFAIK, This is the first time we have a letter prefix to a " character. Some people might think "r" stands for "regex" but they probably wouldn't think that for long.

] If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

Good.

] How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Read the mailing list and the proposal.

I find the concept interesting—a string literal wherein the backslash is just a normal character and there are no special behaviors. However, I am not a fan of the proposed spelling where “lowercase r, double quote” is the opening delimiter:

r""

It just doesn’t look elegant.

5 Likes

Any raw string literal syntax with fixed delimiters has the problem that you can't escape the delimiter. I'd prefer a design where the delimiter can be user-specified, so that anything can be embedded verbatim within a literal without escaping. There's lots of precedent for this—C++ has r"DELIMITER( )DELIMITER", Postgres has $DELIMITER$ $DELIMITER$, Ruby and Perl have their q operators which accept almost any following punctuator, shell has <<HERE\n .... HERE, and so on. I don't have a particular preference to which approach we take, but I think a user-controllable delimiter should be a requirement.

22 Likes

What is your evaluation of the proposal?
Looks good except I am not a fan of the r prefix. See below.

Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
Yes

Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
The simple r prefix takes Swift into the direction of scripting languages where single character modifiers change behavior. I don't think that's a good idea.

In general Swift makes a great effort to be inviting to newcomers and to be expressive. I don't think putting a single character in front of a string literal fits into this pattern.

Maybe (and that's just spitballing) #raw, or #unescaped, would make it more obvious how behavior changes. (Yeah, the # is already taken - I know). I am sure there are smarter people here who could come up with a better alternative.

The argument that python already uses the r character seems moot to me for the above reasons.

If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
Perl or sed comes to mind ::shudders::

How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?
Read through the proposal

3 Likes

I like the conciseness of the r"" syntax, but I feel it is fairly inconsistent with how other things in Swift are done.

I agree with @tkrajacic , I wonder if it would be more clear using a similar syntax as #imageLiteral(), maybe #rawString()

Ruby also has a % operator that still allows string interpolation, but escapes other characters for you. Using the #rawLiteral syntax may give the ability to later add features such as this if desired in a way that's clear of its intentions.

If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
Similar concept to other languages. The feature itself I like.

How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Read through the proposal

2 Likes

Oh I totally agree and would happily use that. It's just that I don't think of myself as a good measure.

We do need a syntax for raw-mode string literals, but it should address the above issue. It will be almost useless for me if I can't have double-quotes in a raw literal string.

I think the described functionality would be unquestionably useful, but I don't like the r"" syntax

I think so, considering it is a minor and non-breaking change and it fixes something that comes up fairly frequently for many developers.

I don't think this proposal fits well with the API design guidelines of Swift found here: Swift.org - API Design Guidelines

Specifically, the point:

Avoid abbreviations. Abbreviations, especially non-standard ones, are effectively terms-of-art, because understanding depends on correctly translating them into their non-abbreviated forms.

The intended meaning for any abbreviation you use should be easily found by a web search.

As well as being an abbreviation that would be difficult to find the meaning of in a web search, seeing r"a string" in source code would look like a stray mis-entered character to me. I would personally prefer some notation that was an explicit and expressive word like unescaped or raw preceding the String literal quotes. Even better would be something that look like existing Swift syntax like raw("string literal") or #raw("string literal") rather than characters that look like they might have unintentionally been typed outside the beginning of the string.

I read the proposal

3 Likes

I am fully in support in principle. I'm going to leave the bikeshedding of the exact details to those with greater experience across languages.

• I do think this problem is significant enough
  • It fits well with the feel and direction, although I'm agnostic to the specific implementation
What is a your evaluation of the poposal

Overall, I like the idea.

Yes, I think so. It's a nice feature to have.

I'm not sold on the "r" prefix; it just doesn't look particularly "Swifty" to me. I liked the idea to use the existing literal syntax, so how about #rawLiteral()? If we were to include @Joe_Groff's custom delimiters, it might look like this: #rawLiteral(delimiter: DELIMITER, value: DELIMITERthis is a raw stringDELIMITER).

I've seen them in C++, Python, and Bash, and this closely matches the Python syntax. As I've said above, though, I don't really think we should be striving for this.

Read the proposal and the comments in this review thread.

2 Likes

+1 for the idea, but -1 for the r"" syntax

What about using \"" instead?

Yes, I think it is very important for things like regex, where you currently have to alter regexes from other sources to work. The \\ everywhere also makes things less readable.

The idea is good, but the proposed syntax doesn't feel swifty™

I haven't

I read the proposal

4 Likes

I like it -- I think it would be a valuable addition to the language.

I believe so.

Although the r prefix doesn't have a precedent in Swift (as far as I know), I think it's a nice and effective syntax. It feels like a natural direction for the language to go.

I agree with Joe that support for custom delimiters is important. Would there be any issue with allowing the user to use an arbitrary prefix in place of r while also using it as a suffix?

mydelimiter"here's a "raw string" with a custom delimiter"mydelimiter

r could be a special prefix that isn't required to be suffixed, which I think would make the proposed syntax a nice, consistent default.

I have limited experience with this feature in other languages (so take my input with a grain of salt).

Read the proposal and the discussion up to this point.

I'm in favor of the idea, and I like the r"" syntax. I have lots of experience with the same feature in Python and it works really well.

Having said that, I'd prefer that the proposal made it more clear what the rules are about leading whitespace, since the multi-line r""" example implies there is some non-trivial processing going on.

1 Like

I like the idea, the examples provided in the proposal give good justification for the change to be made.

I think so.

I think the problem that this proposal is trying to solve is definitely worth implementing, but I again agree with @tkrajacic that the r syntax is not clear. Something similar to #rawString would make usage easer to understand.

Similar concept to Python's r strings, although Python also uses other single character modifiers such as f to provide string interpolation:

age = 42
print(f"They are {age} years old")

This is obviously handled completely differently in Swift, requiring no character modifier. Requiring r for raw strings may seem confusing.

A read of the proposal

Since it seems to be bikeshedding day, I'd probably prefer the wordy #rawStringLiteral() over r"", \"", or whatever. Of course, then you have to worry about the closing parenthesis, and whether the literal is quoted, and how to use literals for internal parens and quotes, but waves hands that's just an implementation issue. The advantage of #rawStringLiteral is that it follows an existing Swift naming pattern and that it's self explanatory in what it's trying to do.

1 Like

Just to be sure... Raw strings and regular strings are the same type?

r"raw\String" + "Cooked string" == "raw\StringCooked string" // true

What about double-quotes?

r"this is a raw (a.k.a. "uncooked") string" // how do we know which " is the end?

Also... with #raw standing in for any keyword+function-like invocation:

#raw(this is a raw (a.k.a. "uncooked") string) // which close paren is the end?

#raw(delim: "^", ^this is a raw (a.k.a. "uncooked") string^) // allow explicit delimiter?

#raw(startDelim: "$[", endDelim: "]$", $[this is a raw (a.k.a. "uncooked") string$] ) // explicit starting and ending delimiters?
1 Like

+1 I think this is a good addition to the language.

Yes.

Yes. I'm not bothered by the r"" syntax, it's short and to the point and has precedent in other languages.

Many other languages have single character prefixing strings to donate that it has particular meaning, and I'm a fan of that.

Followed the initial proposal thread and read the proposal proper.

I personally never missed raw string literals, and I dislike the syntax for reasons others already expressed.
The first may change in the future, but I doubt that I'd ever like r"".

But for me, the strongest argument against this addition is the lack of a big picture:
Swift evolution favors small steps, but sometimes, those can lead to chaos.
The proposal states that the new literal might be used for regex, but there's no clear vision how this topic will be handled in Swift.

Imho such fundamental yet tiny changes to the syntax shouldn't be decided in full isolation.
Besides the regex-question, there's also yet to be decided wether single quotes will get a special meaning...

6 Likes

I stumble across escaping slashes every time I do something involving regular expressions and have wished for something like this a few times. Definitely a welcome addition on my end.

r"foobar" is understandable imo, especially if the user has seen similar things in other languages before. A bit more fitting with current Swift syntax would be the aforementioned #raw"foobar" or similar. I'm personally not the biggest fan of the very wordy alternatives and would prefer to keep it short, albeit being more expressive than a simple r"foobar" doesn't seem to be a bad idea.

My vote goes towards #raw"foobar".

Yes, as said before I've run into the problems this proposal aims to solve several times.

Yes.

Works great in other languages :+1:

Read the proposal and thread.

2 Likes