SE-0028 Debugging Identifier #filename

Hi,

I have a small question about SE-0028, "Modernizing Swift's Debugging Identifiers"

I think this is a great feature, because I think it makes it clearer that there a special syntactic rules involved when the debug-identifier is written as "#file" instead of __FILE__.

Will "#filename" also be included in Swift 3.0? It's basically the same as #file.lastPathComponent, but with the additional safety feature that you cannot find the full pathnames when analyzing the executable file. I saw it mentioned in the proposal, but I'm not sure if it was accepted, or if it is just an idea for some later Swift version. I think the idea is great. I think adding #filename would be an improvement. In the past, when writing Objective-C, I used the __FILE__ macro quite a few times, usually for writing logging macros. And in the function that gets called eventually, I always strip away all but the last path component (using strrchr()). ("#file" should stay, I'm not suggesting that it is replaced with "#filename", I only suggest that "#filename" be added.)

Another alternative would be to make "#file.lastPathComponent" a debugging-identifier that is handled by the preprocessor, so we could write something like

func myLog(msg: String, filename: String = #file.lastPathComponent, line: Int = #line) { ... }

and the preprocessor would optimize away the call to lastPathComponent, so that the lastPathComponent function doesn't have to be called at runtime.

Regards,
Michael

This was already brought up on list. See: [Pitch] Introducing #fileName debug identifier. Module-relative path seems to be most highly requested form of #file. Chris Lattner had the final word,

"In this case, I don’t think that more is better. Having too many options and knobs is not good for anyone. Having #file produce the module-relative path (including the module name) serves all of the use-cases that I’m aware of, since you can further slice and dice it to get the base file name out. "

To my best understanding this was the end of the discussion, leaving two loose threads:
  1. Actually introducing the change, which I'm not sure if it needs a bug report or what
  2. Gregorizing the function literal to match the new method/function naming scheme

-- E

···

On Apr 11, 2016, at 3:48 PM, Michael Peternell via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

Hi,

I have a small question about SE-0028, "Modernizing Swift's Debugging Identifiers"
https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0028-modernizing-debug-identifiers.md

I think this is a great feature, because I think it makes it clearer that there a special syntactic rules involved when the debug-identifier is written as "#file" instead of __FILE__.

Will "#filename" also be included in Swift 3.0? It's basically the same as #file.lastPathComponent, but with the additional safety feature that you cannot find the full pathnames when analyzing the executable file. I saw it mentioned in the proposal, but I'm not sure if it was accepted, or if it is just an idea for some later Swift version. I think the idea is great. I think adding #filename would be an improvement. In the past, when writing Objective-C, I used the __FILE__ macro quite a few times, usually for writing logging macros. And in the function that gets called eventually, I always strip away all but the last path component (using strrchr()). ("#file" should stay, I'm not suggesting that it is replaced with "#filename", I only suggest that "#filename" be added.)

Another alternative would be to make "#file.lastPathComponent" a debugging-identifier that is handled by the preprocessor, so we could write something like

func myLog(msg: String, filename: String = #file.lastPathComponent, line: Int = #line) { ... }

and the preprocessor would optimize away the call to lastPathComponent, so that the lastPathComponent function doesn't have to be called at runtime.

Regards,
Michael