Hello Swift community,
The review of *SE-0181: Package Manager C/C++ Language Standard Support* begins
now and runs through *July 14th, 2017*.
The proposal is available here:
Reviews are an important part of the Swift evolution process. All reviews
should be sent to the swift-build-dev and swift-evolution mailing lists at
or, if you would like to keep your feedback private, directly to the
review manager. When replying, please try to keep the proposal link at the
top of the message:
What goes into a review?
The goal of the review process is to improve the proposal under review
through constructive criticism and, eventually, determine the direction of
Swift. When writing your review, here are some questions you might want to
answer in your review:
- What is your evaluation of the proposal?
As a temporary measure, acceptable; very much looking forward to true build
settings. I would tend to agree with original proposal authors that, since
this design is intended to be transitional, having these enum cases closely
mirror the underlying options 1:1 is the way to go.
- Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a
change to Swift?
- Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
It fits OK, with some nits:
* Since the corresponding Swift feature is specified by the label
`swiftLanguageVersion` and the proposed enum is named `CLanguageStandard`,
shouldn't the label be `cLanguageStandard` instead of `cStandard`?
* Since the underlying option is named "gnu++11", shouldn't the enum case
be `gnuxx11` and not `gnucxx11`?
- If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar
feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
This is the first package manager I've worked with that builds both another
language and C/C++.
- How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick
reading, or an in-depth study?
Some study, though not necessary as in-depth as it could be.
More information about the Swift evolution process is available at:
On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Daniel Dunbar via swift-evolution < email@example.com> wrote:
Daniel Dunbar (Review Manager)
swift-evolution mailing list