Quickhelp for Swift Keywords

Hey,

In Swift there a lot of keywords, many are intuitive, but some aren't.
I would like see a markdown help for (all) the Swift Keywords. As result, it would be nice to see this help in the Quick Help in Xcode.

Example

/// Functions with this keyword changes the value (etc.)
mutating

/// An autoclosure is a closure that is automatically created to wrap an expression that’s being passed as an argument to a function.
/// etc.
@autoclosure

This help would reduce looking in the official documentation to understand a new keyword.
Maybe this also allows to write all keywords in place instead of hardcoding them into the compiler.

Please correct this example, if its wrong ;)
I hope, this is the right category.

5 Likes

The list of Swift keywords can be found here, although it does not describe what they do.

…where else would this go, if not in the official documentation?

I think this is a good idea, but the Swift Open Source project doesn't control the behavior of Quick Help in Xcode. You should file a bug report at https://bugreport.apple.com.

6 Likes

Sorry for the late answer.

@Nevin Of course, the official documentation is the right place, but currently, there is no list of every! keyword with its documented function.

@jrose Right, Xcode's Quick Help is controlled by Apple, but it's working with "normal" markup, so creating a list with documented keywords would be a job of the Swift Open Source project :) Then, Quick Help could show the help, based on the list.