Protocols with associated protocols?

Would it be possible to have a protocol with associated protocols? For instance:

protocol Store {

associatedprotocol RecordCodable

func save(item: RecordCodable)

}

protocol SyncEngine: Store {

associatedtype LocalStore: Store
    associatedtype RemoteStore: Store

typealias RecordCodable = LocalStore.RecordCodable & RemoteStore.RecordCodable

var localStore: LocalStore { get }
    var remoteStore: RemoteStore { get }

}

extension SyncEngine {

func save(item: RecordCodable) {
        localStore.save(item: item)
        remoteStore.save(item: item)
    }

}
1 Like

There was a thread about this a while ago:

I'd love to see this happen.

1 Like

Generalized supertypes are great, but as the author alludes, the example provided still wouldn't be type-safe without some mechanism that would allow you to define an associated type or generic parameter that must be a protocol type (or of some other nature), i.e.

protocol P {
  protocol associatedtype Foo
}

func foo<protocol T>(_ arg: T) { ... }

This request is a little bit different than generalized supertype constraints as it introduces the ability to abstract over protocols. Generalized supertype constraints do not let you abstract over anything new. I would really love to see them happen and hope @Douglas_Gregor finds a way to sneak them into Swift 5 :crossed_fingers:. I have bumped into this limitation in the generic system very often.

A generalized supertype constraint is just a new way of constraining an associated type or generic parameter. This constraint requires an argument to be a subtype of the type bound that is bound to the constraining type variable (associated type or other generic parameter).

The associatedprotocol pitch is a subset of something more general: an associatedconstraint which would need to be paired with constraintalias. This is an extremely powerful feature I would really love to see someday. It is related to the Constraint Kinds extension in Haskell.

I have thought about starting a pitch thread but it seems wildly out of scope at the moment so I haven't yet. @Joe_Groff would a discussion on this topic be useful right now?

Terms of Service

Privacy Policy

Cookie Policy