[Pitch] Opaque result types with limited availability

Introduction

Since their introduction in SE-0244, opaque result types have become a powerful tool of type-level abstraction that allows library authors to hide implementation details of their APIs.

Under the rules described in SE-0244 - a function returning an opaque result type must return a value of the same concrete type T from each return statement, and T must meet all of the constraints stated on the opaque type.

The same-type return requirement is unnecessarily strict when it comes to availability conditions. SE-0244 states that it should be possible to change the underlying type in the future version of the library, but that would only work with pre-existing types. This limits the usefulness of opaque result types as an abstraction mechanism, because it prevents frameworks from introducing new types and using them as underlying types in existing APIs. To bridge this usability gap, I propose to relax same-type restriction for returns inside of availability conditions.

Motivation

To illustrate the problematic interaction between opaque result types and availability conditions, let's consider a framework that already has a Shape protocol and a Square type that conforms to the Shape protocol.

protocol Shape {
  func draw(to: Surface)
}

struct Square : Shape {
}

In a new version of the framework, the library authors decided to introduce a new shape - Rectangle with limited availability:

@available(macOS 100, *)
struct Rectangle : Shape {
}

Since a Rectangle is generalization of a Square it makes sense to allow transforming a Square into a Rectangle but that currently requires extension with limited availability:

@available(macOS 100, *)
extension Square {
  func asRectangle() -> some Shape {
     return Rectangle(...)
  }
}

The fact that the new method has to be declared in availability context to return Rectangle limits its usefulness because all uses of asRectangle would have be encapsulated into if #available blocks.

If asRectangle already existed in the original version of the framework, it wouldn’t be possible to use a new type at all without declaring if #available block in its body:

struct Square {
     if #available(macOS 100, *) {
        return Rectangle(...)
     }

return self
  }
}

But doing so is not allowed because all of the return statements in the body of the asRectangle function have to return the same concrete type:

error: function declares an opaque return type 'some Shape', but the return statements in its body do not have matching underlying types
       ^                ~~~~~~~~~~
note: return statement has underlying type 'Rectangle'
      return Rectangle()
             ^
note: return statement has underlying type 'Square'
    return Square()
           ^

This is a dead-end for the library author although SE-0244 states that it should be possible to change underlying result type in the future version of the library/framework but that assumes that the type already exists so it could be used in all return statements.

Proposed solution

To bridge this usability gap I propose to relax same-type restriction for returns inside of availability conditions as follows:

A function returning an opaque result type is allowed to return values of different concrete types from conditionally available if #available branches without any other dynamic conditions, if and only if, all universally available return statements in its body return a value of the same concrete type T. All returned values regardless of their location must meet all of the constraints stated on the opaque type.

Detailed design

Proposed changes allow to:

• Use multiple different if #available conditions to return types based on their availability e.g. from the most to least available.
  • Safely fallback to a single universally available type if none of the conditions are met.

Note that although it is possible to use multiple availability conditions, mixing conditional availability with dynamic checks would result in returns being considered universally available. The following declarations would still be unsupported:

if <cond>, #available(macOS 100, *) { ❌
     return Rectangle()
  }
  return self
}

or

if #available(macOS 100, *) {
     if cond { ❌
       return Rectangle()
     } else {
       return self
     }
  }
  return self
}

In both of this examples self and Rectangle would have to be same concrete type which is consistent with existing behavior.

This semantic adjustment fits well into the existing model because it makes sure that there is always a single underlying type per platform and universally.

Source compatibility

Proposed changes do not break source compatibility and allow previously incorrect code to compile.

Effect on ABI stability

No ABI impact since this is an additive change.

Effect on API resilience

All of the resilience rules associated with opaque result types are preserved.

Alternatives considered

• Only alternative is to change the API patterns used in the library, e.g. by exposing the underlying result type and overloading the method.
17 Likes

Sounds reasonable to me. The only thing that comes to my mind is that on the users side any dynamic casts are subject for a soft break but this is true for any dynamic casts on existential types as well.

Overall. +1

I think this will also enable some retroactive improvements in libraries like SwiftUI where the underlying type can be swapped out in a future library / OS version.

1 Like

I think the underlying principle here is that

a function returning an opaque result type must return a value of the same concrete type T from each return statement

is a condition that does not have to apply across executions of the same program, the same way that Hashable must produce the same output for the same value during program execution, but may produce a different value in the next execution. #available is special because it's a checkable form of that: dynamic availability will not change while the program is running, but may be different the next time the program runs.

Given that we already intended it to be okay to change all of the return sites in new versions of a library, I can't see how this would be any worse. :+1:

I do suggest thinking very carefully about inlinable functions, though. With those, the library author already must not change the type at all. If someone were to write a new inlinable function with an opaque result type, and rely on this rule to pick the concrete result type they want at run time, they now have to think about a set of result types that they must keep consistent. To simplify this, maybe inlinable functions should still be required to have a single result type, at least for now.

9 Likes

I really like this formulation of the proposed solution. I’m not sure how to construe the “universally available” return language, which seems to leave open some possibility that if I’m somehow clever enough I might be able to finagle some dynamism out of this. By contrast, explaining that the already existing rule applies during program execution but not across different executions of the program is intuitive and sufficient to explain both why the existing rule is too restrictive as well as all the restrictions still to be imposed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @jrose and @xwu! I'm going to rework introduction a bit based on that language.

1 Like