On-topic or Off-topic?

There doesn't seem to be a page that explains what is on-topic and what is off-topic for this forum. I think there should be such a page that is easily findable by new posters. I'm not the right person to write it but without it there will continue to be off-topic posts.

4 Likes

May want to put such a summary on the About page.

2 Likes

I see the following on the left hand side of the home page. Each category has its own description for what is appropriate. What do you think is missing/what more should be added here?

Imo the Development category could use a renaming or at least more clear wording that it is about compiler development, not development in Swift, which seems to be a common misunderstanding.

The Using Swift category could maybe use a note that it's not for Apple framework specific questions, but I'm not sure how much people actually read those :thinking:

3 Likes

If there were a single pinned page "Is my question on-topic or off-topic" that listed examples of on-topic and off-topic questions and explained the reasons as well as pointing to other forums for the off-topic questions that would prevent some of the off-topic questions. It could also more easily be the response to off-topic questions.

Look at this thread: https://forums.swift.org/t/problem-xcode-emulator/37843 OP got angry when told (politely) that his question was off-topic. How is he supposed to know? His question probably agrees with that brief description of Using Swift.

2 Likes

I've been looking in vain for info on what's on/off-topic in the FAQ, in the category descriptions, inside the categories themselves, in the Announcements category, in the site footer, in the hamburger menu... I found nothing, except a discussion in Site Feedback about whether or not SwiftUI should be on-topic.

When arriving at the forums I immediately entered "Using Swift" to see if I could ask about SwiftUI and, to my surprise, promptly found the swiftui tag and no mention to the contrary. After posting a question about it I suddenly came across several posts suggesting that it was off-topic. As has been said already, how are you supposed to know this when it's not mentioned in the category description?

I then arrived here to suggest exactly this.

1 Like

I agree with this sentiment. Multiple times I have opted to post elsewhere because I was not sure that my question was a good fit here. More explicit guidance would be appreciated.

1 Like

There should be seperate page

I didn't find a free topic og communication of Swift off topics. Can I ask questions here wich don't relate to the topic?