Most efficient way of type casting from UInt32 to Int

Assuming my target is 64 bit, so an Int can represent every UInt32 value, what is the most efficient way to get an Int value given a UInt32 value?

For example will these two be equally efficient and perform no unnecessary checks or anything:

Int(myUInt32Value)

and

Int(truncatingIfNeeded: myUInt32Value)

?

2 Likes

This is a question most easily answered by Godbolt. According to Godbolt, the two operations generate identical assembly code.

At the SIL layer, this is what we get for Int.init(UInt32):

%2 = struct_extract %0 : $UInt32, #UInt32._value // user: %3
%3 = builtin "zextOrBitCast_Int32_Int64"(%2 : $Builtin.Int32) : $Builtin.Int64 // user: %4
%4 = struct $Int (%3 : $Builtin.Int64)          // user: %5

And this is what we get for Int.init(truncatingIfNeeded: UInt32):

%2 = struct_extract %0 : $UInt32, #UInt32._value // user: %3
  %3 = builtin "zextOrBitCast_Int32_Int64"(%2 : $Builtin.Int32) : $Builtin.Int64 // user: %4
  %4 = struct $Int (%3 : $Builtin.Int64)          // user: %5

The SIL here is identical, so the compiler consider these to be the same, at least on 64-bit platforms. This is what I'd expect: as you say, the compiler is forewarned that these two operations will be absolutely isomorphic.

8 Likes

If either of these ever fails to generate a simple in-register zero-extension when optimized, that's a performance bug. So they should be equivalent. As @lukasa noted, you can check this on Godbolt; here's a link showing an example: Compiler Explorer

Here's the code from that example:

public func foo(x: UInt32, y: UInt32) -> Int {
    return Int(truncatingIfNeeded: x) + Int(y)
}

and the generated assembly, annotated with my notes explaining what's happening:

// Standard stack frame setup. Arguably Swift should be able
// to omit the frame for simple leaf functions like this.
push    rbp
mov     rbp, rsp
// Zero-extend `x` and `y` by using a 32b `mov` instruction, which 
// implicitly zero-extends to 64b.
mov     ecx, edi
mov     eax, esi
// Add the two zero-extended values as 64b integers.
add     rax, rcx
// Clear stack frame and return
pop     rbp
ret
5 Likes