Learn Objective-C First? and Low Level Understanding of computer

Hello

I’m interested in learning Swift. Is there a need or benefit to learn Objective-C first? I’ve done some C, C++, VB 6.0, and VBA / Access in the past but I’m definitely not a programmer. I want to develop programs for the Mac and to learn about low level programming in the future. Just wondering if I should learn C, C++, or Swift. I have a pc and a Mac.

I keep thinking maybe old C for Windows and Swift and / or Objective-C for the Mac? I’m a little confused.

thanks

I’m interested in learning Swift. Is there a need or benefit to learn Objective-C first?

At this point I don’t think you need to know Obj-C, but it can help to at least be able to read/skim it, since if you look online for help or for sample code with Mac programming, the majority of it’s still going to be in Obj-C. But that’s fairly easy — a lot of it is just knowing how to translate some syntax. For example, Objective-C “[x doSomething: y]” generally becomes “x.doSomething(y)” in Swift.

I’ve done some C, C++, VB 6.0, and VBA / Access in the past but I’m definitely not a programmer.

I’d recommend starting by learning fundamentals, instead of jumping into building an app. Fortunately Xcode’s Playgrounds are a good way to do that, since you can build things like data structures or algorithms interactively. There are a lot of interesting and challenging things you can build that don’t require a fancy GUI but will teach you a lot. For example, look up search trees and see if you can implement various types like binary trees, red/black trees or b-trees. Or implement your own Dictionary class with a hash table.

—Jens

···

On Jul 30, 2016, at 10:36 AM, smd via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

You can certainly learn Swift without learning Objective-C first and Swift is an easier language to get started with. You might later go back and learn Objective-C if you find a need for it, but I'd start with Swift. I don't know what you mean bye "low level programming" but that might mean you eventually want to improve your C programming skills. I can't speak too much to Windows, but C# is probably the language to learn for it.

I currently teach Python in introductory undergraduate course (and later the students learn C++ and there are electives in Java and Swift/iOS programming), but if a decent Swift IDE for Windows (code completion, breakpoints, and ideally playgrounds), I'd be planning to switch to Swift for the intro course. About half my students have Macs and about half have Windows PCs so Swift is a good option without a good environment for it on Windows.

Dave

···

On Jul 30, 2016, at 1:36 PM, smd via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

Hello

I’m interested in learning Swift. Is there a need or benefit to learn Objective-C first? I’ve done some C, C++, VB 6.0, and VBA / Access in the past but I’m definitely not a programmer. I want to develop programs for the Mac and to learn about low level programming in the future. Just wondering if I should learn C, C++, or Swift. I have a pc and a Mac.

I keep thinking maybe old C for Windows and Swift and / or Objective-C for the Mac? I’m a little confused.

thanks

That depends on what you will do in the future. If you want to get a job,
you should learn Objective-C as it is used widely in companies.

If you just want to be an individual developer, you don't need to learn
Objective-C. You can learn Swift directly. For low level programming part.
You will have to learn Objective-C. But you don't need to learn it at
first. Just learn it when you need to.

Zhaoxin

···

On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 1:36 AM, smd via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

Hello

I’m interested in learning Swift. Is there a need or benefit to learn
Objective-C first? I’ve done some C, C++, VB 6.0, and VBA / Access in the
past but I’m definitely not a programmer. I want to develop programs for
the Mac and to learn about low level programming in the future. Just
wondering if I should learn C, C++, or Swift. I have a pc and a Mac.

I keep thinking maybe old C for Windows and Swift and / or Objective-C for
the Mac? I’m a little confused.

thanks

Where do you learn swift?