Is swift-format is still active or dead?

Time ago there was some conversations about swift-format integration to swift toolchain here.
But now It looks like swift-format development is stoped (a few PRs in repo, no answers in topics, etc)

allevato can you confirm that project is still alive? And may be you have some public roadmap?

1 Like

I see PR’s being closer and commits happening: GitHub - apple/swift-format: Formatting technology for Swift source code

I do not think this is dead, but not sure by which standard to judge its speed. If I take it as a personal side project of a person or few people in a team it is not moving much slower than @nicklockwood ’s SwiftFormat (which is not moving slowly for me at al and whose support in PR’s and Issues is excellent that also has to be said).

If I took it as a Google and Apple collaboration then, unless it considers all or most of its goals achieved already, then I could see your point more yes.

I think it is still an important project that we want to use in a variety of places. In fact, there was a PR by @cukr 3 weeks ago to integrate it in sourcekit-lsp. It may be worth pinging @blangmuir to see if he has time to review it.

2 Likes

This PR is really one year old but I had to resubmit it because of master->main branch rename

It wasn't merged, because swift-format isn't yet integrated with CI (or wasn't at the time)

@allevato Did anything change about the status of the CI integration?

2 Likes

Any plans for Swift 5.4 support? Last activity was 3 months ago.

1 Like

Worth to say that swift-format it wasn't mentioned in the Swift 5.5 release process, I asked in the thread about it but I haven't received an answer yet. Hopefully we will get some clarification soon.

1 Like
4 Likes

Also, if it is not dead (hopefully it's not, I like the tool), I believe it worth creating RelatedProject on the forum or at least (and even better) opening issues tab on GitHub

Also btw, does anyone know how to disable inserting a line-break before $0? :slightly_smiling_face: // moved to Fixing line breaks - #5 by maximkrouk

UPD.

Oh, there is one in Development category.

Issues are tracked at bugs.swift.org under the swift-format component.

Issues are tracked at bugs.swift.org under the swift-format component

But not all the issues are bugs, some of them are questions about how to use or setup the tool, some kind of an official place for discussions would be great. Btw there is a Discussions tab on GitHub now and it's gonna be even a better place for such stuff... Also, it's not meant for bugs, so it shouldn't confict with Jira...

Those sorts of questions belong here on the forums.

All the repositories that make up the Swift project are set up the same way and all of them have GitHub issues intentionally disabled.