iPhone IDE

Swift learner here. Guessing this is a long stretch but can anyone recommend a good iPhone IDE app where I can code and run projects like Xcode? I am often away from home including in a part-time job which sometimes has a lot of waiting time (and not the best place to bring my MacBook), so such a tool would be perfect. I saw up to a few in the App Store that seem limited in functionality based on reviews.

And if there's no suitable tool yet, maybe someone can think about developing one. If it works well and there's a free trial/edition I'm sure people would pay a nice price for it (but please: one-time fees, no subscriptions lol).

I've sometimes fallen out of the self-education routine for weeks on end due to being away from my tools for too long, but my phone is nearly always with me so if something like this were available I'm sure it would be a productivity godsend for me and others alike.

iPhone is not well suited for this. Should I happen to have your working environment I'd get the best code editor for iOS, version control for iOS (can recommend Working Copy app) and set it up with some free build service that builds the apps and pushes changes to test-flight.

Compiling swift on device would drain your battery in no time.

For strictly phone-based coding, I was going to suggest replit.com, but it appears their Swift support is rather out of date (5.0.1). You can try it if you want though. There are other tools (godbolt.org lets you compile Swift and examine the generated assembly, but not run code) but most of the runnable Swift sites I've found are rather out of date.

If you have an iPad you have a lot more options, including the Playgrounds app from Apple. Unfortunately they don't make that app available for iOS.

1 Like

https://swiftfiddle.com is up to date.

1 Like
Terms of Service

Privacy Policy

Cookie Policy