I'm Aarav, an LFX mentee (OpenSSF / gittuf) with an interest in software testing. I'm exploring the swift-testing repository and would love to get involved.
Since I am new to the codebase, I'd appreciate any recommendations for beginner friendly areas or open issues where I can start contributing whether that's small bug fixes, edge-case test cases...
In a GitHub repository, like Swift Testing. You have a tag called "good first issue". This are issues for starts in the SwiftLang. And have a low priority. Currently on this date 9-8-2026. There is one issue called. Describe the pattern of using .serialized on a containing suite type to ensure all nested suite types are serialized.
Oof. We probably should close that issue, or retitle it, or something. We're planning to revisit .serialized with ST-NNNN data-dependent serialization, which would obsolete any documentation on the feature that you write now.
GitHub needs a "yes, but not yet" button. Draft issues or something?
I ran into the inconvenience of trying to test different environment variable combinations. I think most libc treats environment values as constants in terms of thread safety vs performance. I also treat them as constants (i.e. they are only read once when static lets get initialized), so if I'm just using one set of environment variables within one test file, I can just call setenv in the initializer before the tested code runs the first time. But if I want to test another set of environment variables, I currently need a completely new test target.
I think it would be nice to be able to annotate functions/types to use certain values for certain environment variables and swift test would just take care of the rest.
I don't know how beginner friendly this issue is, and you (or someone else) would certainly have to write an evolution proposal that might just get rejected.
Thanks for explaining this.... and I really like to dive into it...
In the gittuf project (OpenSSF), I previously worked on investigating and fixing several tricky Windows-specific performance and execution issues that were outside my original LFX scope so I really enjoy tackling these kinds of lower-level testing and runtime challenges.
Are there any regular Swift Testing workgroup meetings, community syncs or office hours where folks discuss ideas and collaborate directly? I’d want to connect and work on this together with the team.... and I assure you that I'll never disappoint you guys
Apologies for the delayed update on this I was tied up with a university research project over the past few weeks and couldn't follow up earlier.
Would it be helpful if I draft a small proposal outlining the problem and proposed design along with a working prototype to demonstrate how it works in practice?
That way the team can review the practical implementation and let me know if the approach makes sense and if it's something worth pursuing for Swift Testing....