I think I found an Xcode 10 beta error during playgrounds

Using Xcode 10.0 beta (10L176w) on my macOS High Sierra system. Got this in a playground:

/// A multiple-precision negative-base integer type, with a radix of -8.
public struct NegaOctal: Hashable {

/// The type for each digit.
    typealias Digit = Int4
    /// A collection of all the digits.
    typealias Digits = [Digit]

/// The digits of the represented value.
    var digits: Digits = []

}
//...
extension NegaOctal {

/**
     Generates a copy of this value in the given return type.

A runtime error may occur if intermediate or final results get too (absolutely) large.  Even if a result is successfully returned, the value may be inaccurate if bits rolled into the sign bit (if any) or off the storage entirely.

- Parameter ofType: The return type.

- Returns: The converted value, if representable.
     */
    public func toInt<T: BinaryInteger>(ofType: T.Type) -> T {
        guard !digits.isEmpty else { return 0 }

let positiveComponentIndex = 0, negativeComponentIndex = 1
        var components: [T] = [0, 0]
        let componentIndex = digits.count % 2 == 0 ? negativeComponentIndex : positiveComponentIndex
        for d in digits.reversed() {
            components[0] <<= 3
            components[1] <<= 3
            components[componentIndex] += d  // ERROR here
        }
        return components[positiveComponentIndex] - components[negativeComponentIndex]
    }

}

The error is "Use of extraneous '&'", with the first "c" underlined. The error has a red-with-white-dot fix-it button. The suggestion is "Replace 'components' with ''". (In other words, the line would be "[componentIndex] += d", which leads to an "Left side of mutating operator has immutable type '[Int]'" error.) Neither the error nor the fix-it make any sense. Am I missing something legitimate? Or are these just beta problems?

(Replacing the custom Int4 with Int8 doesn't make a difference. The Int4 type, along with a UInt4 type, are defined in auxiliary files within the playground package.)

It sounds like this regression:

https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-7877

So, is this fixable? Or at least has a workaround? Note that I'm not explicitly calling this inout/& bug; it's being implicitly triggered by (I guess) the subscript-set.

I went back to Xcode 9.4 and realized I messed up.

components[componentIndex] += d

should be:

components[componentIndex] += T(d)

Since d is an Int4. It seems that there is no mixed-mode +=. Fixing that made the error go away. (That doesn't mean the (re)discovered bug isn't a problem.)

Anyway, I threw this method out and moved the code to an extended initializer for BinaryInteger. I feel like I should make a fail-able initializer version, but I don't think there's a general way to detect when my intermediate calculations would cause either a run-time error (i.e. crash) or roll off value bits to the sign bit and/or completely off the register.