How to tell what swiftc version is inside Xcode?

Installed Xcode-beta 11.4, how can I see what version of swiftc it's using?

xcode-select only control what the command line uses, right? This is independent of what's inside Xcode?

You can run swiftc -version in terminal and it will print the compiler version.

(Make sure you’ve selected Xcode 11.4 beta as default via xcode-select otherwise you’ll have to pass the full path to swiftc)

1 Like
swiftc -version
Apple Swift version 5.1.3 (swiftlang-1100.0.282.1 clang-1100.0.33.15)

So this is the command line version. But what's inside Xcode-beta 11.4? I think it's 5.2, but anyway to verify?

It appears you didn't follow the suggestion of @suyashsrijan and use Xcode-select.

You can use the full path which on my machine is:
/Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/swiftc --version

and it reports:

Apple Swift version 5.2 (swiftlang-1103.0.22 clang-1103.0.22)

Target: x86_64-apple-darwin19.3.0

A shorter way to do what Dave Reed suggested without trying to find the full path would be

$ DEVELOPER_DIR="/Applications/Xcode-Beta.app" xcrun swiftc -version

This avoids mutating global state which is what xcode-select does.

@dave256 @typesanitizer @suyashsrijan

Sorry, let me see if I can ask again more clearly: I don't care what my command line swiftc version is. I want to know what swiftc version is inside Xcode, which is Xcode-beta 11.4 running right now.

The commandline I gave takes that into account :slight_smile:. Try running it, you should see a different result than what you saw earlier:

// Old, commandline version
$ swiftc -version
Apple Swift version 5.1.3 (swiftlang-1100.0.282.1 clang-1100.0.33.15)
// New, in Xcode Beta
$ DEVELOPER_DIR="/Applications/Xcode-Beta.app" xcrun swiftc -version
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin19.3.0

The output of my command (or Dave's) will give you the exact version being used inside the Xcode Beta.

The fact that it is inside Xcode app’s content looks enough to be of Xcode origin to me.

I get it now. I ran:

~//Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/swiftc --version

So that's the way to know what's inside Xcode.

I tried this way:

DEVELOPER_DIR="~/Applications/Xcode-beta.app" xcrun swiftc --version
xcrun: error: missing DEVELOPER_DIR path: ~/Applications/Xcode-Beta.app

I had to give it the full path:

DEVELOPER_DIR="/Users/young/Applications/Xcode-beta.app" xcrun swiftc --version

Wonder why it doesn't like "~"?

It's bash or zsh, not xcrun. "~" doesn't get expanded in environment variables. You need to use $HOME, which points at your home directory. Nothing to do with Swift. All to do with the shell.

DEVELOPER_DIR="$HOME/Applications/Xcode-beta.app" xcrun swiftc --version

if you printenv HOME, you should see /Users/young

I’m just using the Catalina default, which is zsh.

ls ~

Works as expected. I’ll just use $HOME then.

Thanks!

ls ~ is fine, the shell expands '~' as part of the command line expansion as documented in man zsh. However, when you setup an environment variable

DEVELOPER_DIR=~

the tilde does not get expanded as part of the environment variable evaluation. That's why you need another environment variable $HOME, which is set up during login when evaluating an environment variable like DEVELOPER_DIR.

3 Likes