Help: .branch("master") import on Xcode 12.5 fetches last release

Hello. I'm trying to import the starscream package via (package(url: "GitHub - daltoniam/Starscream: Websockets in swift for iOS and OSX", .branch("master")) ).
It doesn't fetch the code on the master branch, but the last release. Is releasing the tag mandatory to import ?

thanks

These are not mutually exclusive. Which branch is being fetched, and which release is being fetched?

.branch("master") should checkout the most recent commit on the master branch.

Yes, my bad. I got mixed up in develop and master. SPM is fetching correctly now. I have another issue though. I want to fix the version of the import but its reporting the following error.

Showing All Messages

runtimeManifestErrors(["Invalid semantic version string '5.0'"]) in GitHub - skywinder/web3swift: Elegant Web3js functionality in Swift. Native ABI parsing and smart contract interactions.

Also, the documentation says the following

/// Note that packages that use branch-based dependency requirements
/// can't be depended upon by packages that use version-based dependency
/// requirements; you should remove branch-based dependency requirements
/// before publishing a version of your package.
///

I want to publish a packageA, which imports, packageA > web3swift.

web3swift has not released the latest commit on the develop branch. If i pin the version using .branch("develop") and release my packageA, what kind of issues will i run into ? (Note - i'm planning to release packageC > packageB > packageA > web3swift (> stands for imports))

The documentation directly answers this question: It won't work. I don't know exactly what error message you'll get because I've never tried this, but it doesn't really matter.

This is not a valid semantic version string. It must contain a patch number; e.g., 5.0.0.