[GSoC 2021] Swift data structure implementation

Hello @lorentey

I'm Hongjing and currently a computer science undergraduate of Beijing Institute of Technology. I have experience with C/C++, Python, etc. And I'm familiar with Swift as well. Among the idea list this year, I'm extremely interested in the Swift Data Structure Implementation project.

I would like to work on priority queue, taking extra experience from other language into account. What I understand basically is that there are different ways to implement priority queue, but the most common idea is to use heap (structure). Some details deserve discussing.

And I've clone the Swift source code and build it (Both the latest version and the release version of Swift 5.3.3) and now I'm looking into the details of Swift Standard Library with the hope of getting some inspirations.

As a non-native English speaker, I have some questions about the description of the project and the proposal. Some of them are as follows:

1. As for design and its API, is there any specific pattern you are expecting?
  2. I'm still finding a better way to get more understanding of the low-level Swift implementation. Is there any suggestion for it?
  3. How precise the details of project should be shown in the proposal?

My thought is too simple now. I would appreciate it if you could help me to refine it. It's better if I could contact you privately to discuss further.

Sincerely,
Hongjing

2 Likes

Hi Hongjing! :smiley: It's very nice to meet you, and I'm glad you're interested in this project! I sent a private message to let us work out details.

2 Likes

Hello @lorentey

I am Paras Chhugani and currently a Computer science student at Adani institute. I have experience with Swift and python. I have been experimenting with IOS development and making apps for the past 1.5 years. I have got a good understanding of swift concepts and a good grip over Data structures.

I would love to work on the priority queue, I would use the combination of stack and heap.
Please do guide be on this project.

Respectfully, Paras Chhugani

1 Like

Hello @paraschhugani! Glad you're interested too -- I've sent a direct message with some details!

1 Like

@lorentey Hi!
My name is Dipit Sehgal. I am currently a sophomore at Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra. I am pursuing a Bachelors in technology in Computer Science. I have been coding for the past two years in C++ and python. I have keen interest in implementing Data Structures in Swift.
I don't have any experience currently on how to implement and deploy an API. I want to learn more about it and implement it. I have been working on my competitive programming skills. I would be grateful if you could share some insights as to how I can contribute better to this project.
Thanks,
Sincerely,
Dipit Sehgal.

1 Like

@lorentey Hi Karoy!

I'm Ashley, currently studying in Canada at McGill University. I just heard about GSoC from a friend yesterday and I am very interested in the data structure project! I know I am pretty late to the application process, is it still possible if you can send me a DM and more details? Thank you!

1 Like

@Hongjing Hi Hongjing, I am wondering if I can add you on wechat? I couldn't get in touch with @lorentey and I am hoping to get more details on this project! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Hello Ashley! @Ashley-Xu I sent you a private message. :wink:

1 Like

Got it! Sent u a friend request in wechat :D

Hi Ashley! Pleased to meet you! I sent you a DM with some details, too. :relaxed:

2 Likes