extending typealiases

+1 from me, it seems like a sensible improvement (albeit not a pressing one, as others have noted).

Just imagining the future. Iff this request will made into the language and we had typealias AnyObject = Any<class>, would the following be valid?

extension AnyObject {
    func foo()
}

···

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

Am 6. Februar 2017 um 08:03:52, Vatsal Manot via swift-evolution (swift-evolution@swift.org) schrieb:

+1 from me, it seems like a sensible improvement (albeit not a pressing one, as others have noted).

If I understand correctly, extension of a typealias should be strictly
equivalent to extension of type on the right:

extension Any<class> {
    func foo()
}

And Any<...> are not nominal types, so until we additionally allow
extensions for non-nominal types, this will not compile.

Just imagining the future. Iff this request will made into the language and

···

2017-02-06 20:51 GMT+03:00 Adrian Zubarev via swift-evolution < swift-evolution@swift.org>:

we had typealias AnyObject = Any<class>, would the following be valid?

extension AnyObject {
    func foo()
}

Right.

Note that we capriciously banned extending AnyObject so y’all couldn’t sneak in code that would prevent AnyObject from turning into “an existential describing values of class type” :)

- Doug

···

On Feb 6, 2017, at 10:06 AM, Anton Zhilin via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

If I understand correctly, extension of a typealias should be strictly equivalent to extension of type on the right:

extension Any<class> {
    func foo()
}
And Any<...> are not nominal types, so until we additionally allow extensions for non-nominal types, this will not compile.

Okay fine. I’m curious if we ever should be able to extend existentials. (Could be really handy.)

typealias FooView = UIView & Foo

extension FooView {
     func foo() { .. }
}

// vs.
extension UIView where Self : Foo { .. }

···

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

Am 6. Februar 2017 um 19:06:16, Anton Zhilin (antonyzhilin@gmail.com) schrieb:

If I understand correctly, extension of a typealias should be strictly equivalent to extension of type on the right:

extension Any<class> {
    func foo()
}
And
Any<...> are not nominal types, so until we additionally allow extensions for non-nominal types, this will not compile.

2017-02-06 20:51 GMT+03:00 Adrian Zubarev via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org>:

Just imagining the future. Iff this request will made into the language and we had typealias AnyObject = Any<class>, would the following be valid?

extension AnyObject {
    func foo()
}