Depreciated SPM file - how many others?

swift package init --type executable

I use this command on Linux all the time, but today I used it on the iMac, inside a new folder I created on the Desktop, and got this...

2022-03-23 09:32:15.305 xcodebuild[731:7502] Requested but did not find extension point with identifier Xcode.IDEKit.ExtensionSentinelHostApplications for extension Xcode.DebuggerFoundation.AppExtensionHosts.watchOS of plug-in com.apple.dt.IDEWatchSupportCore
2022-03-23 09:32:15.305 xcodebuild[731:7502] Requested but did not find extension point with identifier Xcode.IDEKit.ExtensionPointIdentifierToBundleIdentifier for extension Xcode.DebuggerFoundation.AppExtensionToBundleIdentifierMap.watchOS of plug-in com.apple.dt.IDEWatchSupportCore
2022-03-23 09:32:20.980 xcodebuild[732:7544] Requested but did not find extension point with identifier Xcode.IDEKit.ExtensionSentinelHostApplications for extension Xcode.DebuggerFoundation.AppExtensionHosts.watchOS of plug-in com.apple.dt.IDEWatchSupportCore
2022-03-23 09:32:20.980 xcodebuild[732:7544] Requested but did not find extension point with identifier Xcode.IDEKit.ExtensionPointIdentifierToBundleIdentifier for extension Xcode.DebuggerFoundation.AppExtensionToBundleIdentifierMap.watchOS of plug-in com.apple.dt.IDEWatchSupportCore
warning: Usage of /Users/mike/Library/org.swift.swiftpm/collections.json has been deprecated. Please delete it and use the new /Users/mike/Library/org.swift.swiftpm/configuration/collections.json instead.
Creating executable package: NIOClient
Creating Package.swift
Creating README.md
Creating .gitignore
Creating Sources/
Creating Sources/NIOClient/main.swift
Creating Tests/
Creating Tests/NIOClientTests/
Creating Tests/NIOClientTests/NIOClientTests.swift

The iMac has Monterey 12.3 with Xcode Version 13.3 (13E113) installed.

I'm wondering if a related misconfiguration might explain why Xcode is able to crash a connected Linux system, and corrupt the project's directory, when using it to edit Linux hosted source code.

So I've deleted the depreciated file and the error goes away, but how many other redundant files are lurking around and ready to bite?

Yes I wonder the same thing! I wrote a question on Stack Overflow one month ago when I used Xcode 13.3 beta 3

To my knowledge SwiftPM only writes to three places:

1. ~/Library/org.swift.swiftpm: configured mirrors, package collection lists, package fingerprints, etc.
  2. ~/Library/Caches/org.swift.swiftpm: global cache of fetched packages
  3. .build in each package directory: products and intermediates of the particular package’s build

All are safe to delete as long as SwiftPM is not running. 1 contains the global configurations, so deleting it essentially reverts to factory defaults. But 2 and 3 are just caches, so you lose nothing if you delete them.