Compiling Swift macOS 10.12.4 Xcode 9 beta 4

Hello everyone,

I followed the instructions on the Swift GitHub for installing and building Swift on my Mac but there is an error that I don't know how to fix (I am using the build-script -x command). Here is the error:

** BUILD FAILED **

The following build commands failed:
  PhaseScriptExecution CMake\ Rules /Users/trevorannedenise/swift-source/build/Xcode-DebugAssert/swift-macosx-x86_64/stdlib/public/SwiftRemoteMirror/Swift.build/Debug/swiftRemoteMirror-macosx.build/Script-340A90BA4E604C08A26364A6.sh
(1 failure)
utils/build-script: fatal error: command terminated with a non-zero exit status 65, aborting

There are also these errors a few lines before:
xcodebuild: error: SDK "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk" cannot be located.
codesign_allocate: error: unable to find utility "codesign_allocate", not a developer tool or in PATH
/Users/trevorannedenise/swift-source/build/Xcode-DebugAssert/swift-macosx-x86_64/Debug/lib/swift/macosx/libswiftRemoteMirror.dylib: the codesign_allocate helper tool cannot be found or used
make: *** [/Users/trevorannedenise/swift-source/build/Xcode-DebugAssert/swift-macosx-x86_64/Debug/lib/swift/macosx/libswiftRemoteMirror.dylib] Error 1
Command /bin/sh failed with exit code 2

I had forgot to do xcode-select, so I thought it was that but even as I selected the beta version of Xcode the error persists. What surprises me is that the utility searches for 10.12 SDK under Xcode.app which is Xcode 8 and not Xcode 9 even tough I did select Xcode 9 using xcode-select.

Do you have any idea of what is happening ?

Thank you

Trevör

Hello everyone,

I followed the instructions on the Swift GitHub for installing and building Swift on my Mac but there is an error that I don't know how to fix (I am using the build-script -x command). Here is the error:

** BUILD FAILED **

PhaseScriptExecution CMake\ Rules /Users/trevorannedenise/swift-source/build/Xcode-DebugAssert/swift-macosx-x86_64/stdlib/public/SwiftRemoteMirror/Swift.build/Debug/swiftRemoteMirror-macosx.build/Script-340A90BA4E604C08A26364A6.sh
(1 failure)
utils/build-script: fatal error: command terminated with a non-zero exit status 65, aborting

xcodebuild: error: SDK "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk" cannot be located.
codesign_allocate: error: unable to find utility "codesign_allocate", not a developer tool or in PATH
/Users/trevorannedenise/swift-source/build/Xcode-DebugAssert/swift-macosx-x86_64/Debug/lib/swift/macosx/libswiftRemoteMirror.dylib: the codesign_allocate helper tool cannot be found or used
make: *** [/Users/trevorannedenise/swift-source/build/Xcode-DebugAssert/swift-macosx-x86_64/Debug/lib/swift/macosx/libswiftRemoteMirror.dylib] Error 1

I had forgot to do xcode-select, so I thought it was that but even as I selected the beta version of Xcode the error persists. What surprises me is that the utility searches for 10.12 SDK under Xcode.app which is Xcode 8 and not Xcode 9 even tough I did select Xcode 9 using xcode-select.

It looks like you need to pass --reconfigure to build-script, in order to get it to pick up the changes to which build tools you have selected. You do this by passing it directly to build-script-impl, which is done by adding it after a pair of dashes in the command-line, e.g.:
  build-script -x -- --reconfigure

After doing this once, I would expect that a normal “build-script -x” will work in the future.

If for some reason this doesn’t work for you then you probably need to remove the build directory and start over.

Mark

···

On Aug 10, 2017, at 8:28 AM, Trevör ANNE DENISE via swift-dev <swift-dev@swift.org> wrote:

Thank you

Trevör

** BUILD SUCCEEDED **

Thank you !! :)

···

Le 10 août 2017 à 18:21, Mark Lacey <mark.lacey@apple.com> a écrit :

On Aug 10, 2017, at 8:28 AM, Trevör ANNE DENISE via swift-dev <swift-dev@swift.org <mailto:swift-dev@swift.org>> wrote:

Hello everyone,

** BUILD FAILED **

(1 failure)

It looks like you need to pass --reconfigure to build-script, in order to get it to pick up the changes to which build tools you have selected. You do this by passing it directly to build-script-impl, which is done by adding it after a pair of dashes in the command-line, e.g.:
  build-script -x -- --reconfigure

After doing this once, I would expect that a normal “build-script -x” will work in the future.

If for some reason this doesn’t work for you then you probably need to remove the build directory and start over.

Mark

Thank you

Trevör