Can't add SwiftPM testTarget to Xcode test plan

In my project, I've broken out some components into local SPM packages. In Xcode, I've added these packages and the project compiles as expected. The SPM's have unit tests in a .testTarget and when I run swift test, the unit tests all run.

I'd like to run the tests for the local SPMs when I run unit tests in the Xcode project (cmd-U). I've got a single test plan with all the unit tests from the project file. According to "the internet", I should be able to add the SPM tests to the test plan with the + button. But that doesn't work for me. In the screenshot below, the ByteToolBox entry is a local SPM with tests, but I can't select it. It feels like there should be a test target entry below ByteToolBox like the GlowWormTests entry under the GlowWorm project.

This is the super simple Package.swift for ByteToolBox:

// swift-tools-version: 5.10
// The swift-tools-version declares the minimum version of Swift required to build this package.

import PackageDescription

let package = Package(
    name: "ByteToolBox",
    platforms: [.macOS(.v13)],
    products: [
        // Products define the executables and libraries a package produces, making them visible to other packages.
        .library(
            name: "ByteToolBox",
            targets: ["ByteToolBox"]
        ),
    ],
    targets: [
        // Targets are the basic building blocks of a package, defining a module or a test suite.
        // Targets can depend on other targets in this package and products from dependencies.
        .target(name: "ByteToolBox"),
        .testTarget(
            name: "ByteToolBoxTests",
            dependencies: ["ByteToolBox"]
        ),
    ]
)

I'm at a bit of a loss here. Most of the instructions for this just gloss over the 'add the test target' step as though it just works.

Xcode 15.3
macOS 14.4.1

IIRC, you can only run tests of root packages, not dependencies (either remote or local). That matches the behavior of swift test.

Several different threads on this topic reference this post on the Apple Dev Forum which would suggest that it's possible. But I haven't been able to get it to work, so perhaps you're right and it's not supported. Although that dev forum post certainly makes it sound like it was working at one point.

https://forums.developer.apple.com/forums/thread/710374?answerId=731357022#731357022