Building swift-sample-distributed-actors-transport

I'd like to play around with the current state of distributed actors so here's what I did so far:

I'm running macOS 11.6 but expecting that, given the custom toolchain, I can run the demo app. (I remember that the demo app ran fine some months ago when I tried it out)

However, when I follow the instructions in the README the compiler fails with these two errors which I find somewhat strange - it looks to me that it complains about a missing parameter that is evidently present in the error message itself:

/swift-sample-distributed-actors-transport-main/SampleApp/Sources/FishyActorsDemo/Actors.swift:33:3: error: designated distributed actor initializer 'init(topic:transport:)' is missing required ActorTransport parameter
  init(topic: String, transport: ActorTransport) {
  ^
/swift-sample-distributed-actors-transport-main/SampleApp/Sources/FishyActorsDemo/Actors.swift:85:3: error: designated distributed actor initializer 'init(transport:)' is missing required ActorTransport parameter
  init(transport: ActorTransport) {
  ^

Maybe, there is some other issue that mistakenly triggers this message? I'm kind of stuck at this point, all help is greatly appreciated :)

Hi Marin,
we're lagging a bit with keeping all the "satellite" repos (samples, the cluster impl) up-to-date with the ongoing changes in the language... sorry for the annoying state of affairs. As we chatted before, things will calm don soon here.

This error specifically diagnoses quite ugly, I'll make sure to do a follow up to make it nicer;

To get that fixed here's a patch: update to latest toolchains by ktoso · Pull Request #4 · apple/swift-sample-distributed-actors-transport · GitHub

Though I noticed other issues at runtime, and some missing fixes in the _Distributed module as well... I'll get to them as soon as I can and report back.

1 Like

Thank you! No worries, I know this is still wip. I'll keep an eye for updates

Just to update the thread, there are still a load of errors while compiling FishyTransport.

This has not been worked on at all on the main branch there, so don't expect any changes there.

There has not been a new toolchain between 6th and 23rd December making the updating somewhat tricky as we needed the "latest" one, which didn't happen until December 23rd, and then x-mas happened. I'm happy that you're eager to try this out, but as I said -- we're in the middle of rewriting the runtime and it is tough to keep the sample project aligned with the moving toolchain, especially as it is so tricky to get one released for snapshot builds (which is independent of our work).

In any case, this update to latest toolchains by ktoso · Pull Request #4 · apple/swift-sample-distributed-actors-transport · GitHub represents an update of the major pieces. Though still some missing things.

As we cannot merge or release toolchains as all the branches are locked during the x-mas break anyway, I would not expect work to happen during the Christmas break here.

I'm happy that you're eager to explore this, but as I said up-thread, it is too early to expect this to be stable, but we're very close: all things should be in-place in early January.

instead, for now I'd suggest discussing the proposals:

You'll notice the sample heading towards the new 'runtime', but it is not entirely implemented yet; so I don't want to churn a lot of time updating the sample while we're not done with the runtime (re-)implementation yet.

2 Likes

Hey Konrad, I didn't expect things will get much progress over the holidays — of course :) I just wanted to update the thread with a current status after a month since creating, in case any other developers land here with a similar problem.

1 Like