Building Swift-NIO on Raspberry Pi Buster errors

I only seem to be able to install Swift 5.1.5 on Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) so have set my dependency on NIO as .upToNextMinor(from: "2.29.0") since 2.30.0 requires 5.2. But when I build I get compile errors for missing symbols:

.build/checkouts/swift-nio/Sources/NIO/BSDSocketAPI.swift:393:43: error: use of unresolved identifier 'SO_RCVTIMEO'
            NIOBSDSocket.Option(rawValue: SO_RCVTIMEO)
                                          ^~~~~~~~~~~
.build/checkouts/swift-nio/Sources/NIO/BSDSocketAPI.swift:404:43: error: use of unresolved identifier 'SO_TIMESTAMP'
            NIOBSDSocket.Option(rawValue: SO_TIMESTAMP)
                                          ^~~~~~~~~~~~
.build/checkouts/swift-nio/Sources/NIO/BSDSocketAPI.swift:393:43: error: use of unresolved identifier 'SO_RCVTIMEO'
                                          ^~~~~~~~~~~
.build/checkouts/swift-nio/Sources/NIO/BSDSocketAPI.swift:404:43: error: use of unresolved identifier 'SO_TIMESTAMP'
                                          ^~~~~~~~~~~~
                                          ^~~~~~~~~~~
                                          ^~~~~~~~~~~~
                                          ^~~~~~~~~~~
                                          ^~~~~~~~~~~~

Any clues on what is missing for these symbols? TIA

I believe this is a bug that got fixed in 2.30.0 affecting only 32-bit arm systems.

What's the concern with installing later Swift versions on Raspbian?

What's the concern with installing later Swift versions on Raspbian?

pi@raspberrypi4:~ $ sudo apt upgrade swift5
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
swift5 is already the newest version (5.1.5-v0.1).

I've tried upgrading via packagecloud but admit I'm not that familiar with apt and can't get it to install.

But it does look like I should be able to patch in this change, no?

Patching that in I get it to build on the Pi, but it fails before the bind on the Pi where it works ok on Mac.

init(port: UInt) {
    listeningPort = port

// Set up the server using a Bootstrap
    let bootstrap = ServerBootstrap(group: group)
      // Define backlog and enable SO_REUSEADDR options atethe server level
      .serverChannelOption(ChannelOptions.backlog, value: 256)
      .serverChannelOption(ChannelOptions.socket(SocketOptionLevel(SOL_SOCKET), SO_REUSEADDR), value: 1)

// Handler Pipeline: handlers that are processing events from accepted Channels
      // To demonstrate that we can have several reusable handlers we start with a Swift-NIO default
      // handler that limits the speed at which we read from the client if we cannot keep up with the
      // processing through EchoHandler.
      // This is to protect the server from overload.
      .childChannelInitializer { channel in
        channel.pipeline.addHandlers([BackPressureHandler(),TCPSocketClientHandler(channels: self.connectedChannels)])
      }

// Enable common socket options at the channel level (TCP_NODELAY and SO_REUSEADDR).
      // These options are applied to accepted Channels
      .childChannelOption(ChannelOptions.socket(IPPROTO_TCP, TCP_NODELAY), value: 1)
      .childChannelOption(ChannelOptions.socket(SocketOptionLevel(SOL_SOCKET), SO_REUSEADDR), value: 1)
      // Message grouping
      .childChannelOption(ChannelOptions.maxMessagesPerRead, value: 16)
      // Let Swift-NIO adjust the buffer size, based on actual trafic.
      .childChannelOption(ChannelOptions.recvAllocator, value: AdaptiveRecvByteBufferAllocator())

// Bind the port and run the server
      do {
        channel = try bootstrap.bind(host: "0.0.0.0", port: Int(listeningPort)).wait()
        print("Server started and listening on \(channel!.localAddress!)")
      }
      catch let error {
        print("Server failed to start: \(error.localizedDescription)")
        channel = nil
      }
    }

I simply get an Illegal Instruction before the binding call.

You could try the Swift 5.4 build for Raspbian Buster linked here. I have not tried it, just saw the link. @uraimo has probably been too busy to get those Swift 5.4 arm builds out into the apt repos.

You could try the Swift 5.4 build for Raspbian Buster linked here. I have not tried it, just saw the link. @uraimo has probably been too busy to get those Swift 5.4 arm builds out into the apt repos.

Thanks, I will give that a try.

Those targets are vapor at the moment. 5.1.5 is the last release.

More investigation that removing this line from the bootstrap

.childChannelOption(ChannelOptions.recvAllocator, value: AdaptiveRecvByteBufferAllocator())

lets it get to the bind, but the bind then also fails with an illegal instruction. I imagine its a 32bit vs 64bit conundrum.

I imagine its a 32bit vs 64bit conundrum.

No, I regularly build and test NIO on Android armv7 without a problem, using the Termux Swift toolchain package that runs on Android phones. I think your problem is more related to your outdated armv6 target or something.

No, I regularly build and test NIO on Android armv7 without a problem, using the Termux Swift toolchain package that runs on Android phones. I think your problem is more related to your outdated armv6 target or something.

Ok, off the ubuntu I go I guess. I hope my HAT is supported there :)

Hi. this is the first time I've ever able to offer help on this forum. I'm developing a server app on a Raspberry Pi 4, but I installed RaspiOS Lite Arm 64 Beta raspberrypi.org and everything I need is working just fine. Of course, this might has nothing to do with your Vapor problem.

1 Like

I doubt this is a 32-bit vs 64-bit issue, I'm pretty sure you're hitting a fatalError of some kind. Can I recommend running this under a debugger and printing out the crashing call stack?

I'm on a headless Pi. I'm gonna have to brush up on my command line lldb skills...

Terms of Service

Privacy Policy

Cookie Policy