Build-script has newfound interest in ninja source?

So after updating my sources, build-script fails to work with the following error:

./utils/build-script: fatal error: can't find source directory for ninja (tried /Volumes/data/wt/swift/master/ninja)

Why does it care about where my ninja source is? Why does "--build-ninja false" not work?

Thanks,
Dave

Are you passing the path to the existing ninja binary when building?

ninja-bin "" "the path to Ninja tool"

If not, it will likely try and build ninja for you.

if ninja_required and toolchain.ninja is None:
            args.build_ninja = True
Alex

···

On 14 Sep 2017, at 03:32, David Zarzycki via swift-dev <swift-dev@swift.org> wrote:

So after updating my sources, build-script fails to work with the following error:

./utils/build-script: fatal error: can't find source directory for ninja (tried /Volumes/data/wt/swift/master/ninja)

Why does it care about where my ninja source is? Why does "--build-ninja false" not work?

Thanks,
Dave

I tried that, but it doesn't work:

./swift/utils/build-toolchain "com.myIdentifier" ninja-bin "" "/usr/local/bin/ninja"

fails with:

recognised argument "ninja-bin"

1 Like

I am having this same issue with 5.7.2-RELEASE sources.

AFAIR ninja is built automatically if it's not found to be installed on the system or if the installed version is too old. I'm pretty sure we do the same for CMake.

It didn't for me. I already deleted that directory, sadly, and don't have time at the moment to reproduce it. I wish there were more Debian packages available (in this case, I need Debian 11/arm64). Maybe after this current set of projects is done.