Bring Swift App To Google Playstore

I'm curious if anyone ever thought about what if we can create an iOS app with Swift that ship to Google Playstore instead use Android Kotlin for the development?

This was we will be able to create both iOS and Android app with more familiar language base, Swift

2 Likes

I haven't tried it yet, but there is a promising cross-platform framework named Skip that aims to do that.

2 Likes

oh wow, I had no idea this was a thing (skip). I've seen various attempts at this before.

personally I've shipped google play apps with swift sources compiled with the android toolchain when I've needed to do this. The UI layer had to be driven by that logic though, so its not like I was able to completely reuse UIKit

2 Likes

personally I've shipped google play apps with swift sources compiled with the android toolchain when I've needed to do this

I've wanted to do the same without success. Which android toolchain was that ? Do you have a link to the documentation that you followed to compile your code and deploy it to android ?

I personally used the swift 5.8 toolchain and started off with various samples around including finagolfin's toolchain examples GitHub - finagolfin/swift-android-sdk: Android SDKs for Swift as well as the various examples on binding jni code to swift using silgen GitHub - PureSwift/Android: Swift library for Android (some good examples here).

When I did it it was tricky packaging all the dynalibs necessary inside of your android app for everything to work, but once you got it working, it was pretty easy and straight forward.