Best IDE on Linux/Ubuntu?

As titled, I was surprise I didnt find anything big on this

I tried CLion, I got stuck with headers and a bug that makes the whole IDE crash

Atom looks sexy but I'm afraid is closer to a text editor than a real IDE..

Lots of folks seem to be having success with VSCode. There was mention of an Eclipse plugin for Swift in the past.

1 Like

I use VSCode with SourceKit-LSP on Linux and I've been having good success with it. It's certainly not perfect, but it's improving steadily.

1 Like

@aemino is this still actual/valid?

Yes, that looks correct. There is also some info in SourceKit-LSP's README detailing (more briefly) how to get the VSCode extension working. My only suggestion is that you may want to consider using a tool like swiftenv to manage Swift versions rather than just adding the latest toolchain snapshot to your path.

I confirm that VS Code works fine with Swift on Linux. I've been using it since Swift 4. SourceKit-LSP made it better. It's not as great as XCode on Mac, but it's good enough, even for real development. Of course you couldn't do iOS/macOS development on Linux.

I tried that, but neither docs or code navigation is working..

I'm on 19.04, what do you have guys?

I really think the Swift team should start thinking of developing a Swift-based IDE for linux platforms and linux development,cause I can't see swift progressing on their "Swift on Server" goal without a good IDE on linux platform.

1 Like

@aemino @MrBee

Are other things working, like type definitions on hover? Documentation certainly works for me, but I don't think that code navigation (e.g. jump to definition) is yet working in non-trivial contexts.

What do you mean exactly by "type definitions on hover"?
Are you also on 19.04?
Have you any trivial contexts on hand to use as a playground?

Because LSP uses "index on build", make sure you do a build before you expect full features (such as jump-to-definition)

i've been using vim for some time directly from terminal. not everything is commited, but you can see some images at https://github.com/ha100/dotfiles

syntax highlighting, fuzzy file open, code completion, building, debugging, function name tags, compiler & linter warnings

1 Like

When you hover over a method, for example, you should get a tooltip which details the type signature of the method. I am not on Ubuntu 19.04, I use Arch (btw), but Ubuntu is more properly supported, so I imagine that the distro version would not be an issue.

1 Like

I've been using VS Code with Swift on Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04. Yes, the sourcekit-lsp isn't stable yet. Sometimes it just hangs up, mostly on a large project or big source code file or has lots of imports. But for most little projects, it mostly works fine. Your mile may vary though because we're talking about a project that is still being actively developed.

I managed to get it working CLion, it's sweet

I'll upload an example on GH maybe later

My best IDE is Codelobster

I use Sublime Text 3 and followed the SourceKit-LSP guide for Swift development. You will need to either install the Decent Swift Syntax package or the Swift package via Package Control. I recommend Decent Swift Syntax as it appears to be much more up-to-date.

While Sublime is more of a text editor, with SourceKit-LSP it appears to have a lot of IDE-like functionality.

I have moved my code to tomHastik / dotfiles ยท GitLab in response to Github dealing with ICE and putting kids in cages - which I just cannot stand. The repo is kind of outdated, but you will get the idea what you are able to do with vim.

1 Like

Hi, great if You help me to get start the repo.