Bare minimum to use a C function from Swift

Googling around, I found several blog entries, some old and no longer valid it seems, that attempt to explain how to use a C library from Swift. Doing so appears to involve a lengthy process or creating a wrapper and a bunch of files.

However I just want to use a single C function, not a library, and I'm coming at this from the point of view that Swift Should Do It Right, instead of the alternative position that Swift Should Be Unnecessarily Complex.

Therefore I am wondering why all this wrapper business is even necessary. Is there perhaps a simpler, more minimalist way to call a C function from Swift? Suppose I don't even have a library, I have just a .c file or its compiled .o file.

I just need to

1. tell swiftc what the prototype for the C function is.
  2. call the function from Swift
  3. link these on the command-line.

How to do that?

This StackOverflow question sounds similar and the accepted answer is up to date (as of 2019‐01‐23). Does it contain what you want to know?

bla.swift:

laber()

laber.h:

void laber();

laber.c:

#include <stdio.h>
void laber() {
        printf("Laber\n");
}

Makefile:

all: bla
	@./bla
clean:
	rm -f bla laber.o
bla: bla.swift laber.h laber.o
	swiftc -import-objc-header laber.h bla.swift laber.o -o bla
laber.o: laber.c
	clang -c laber.c

Output from 'make':

Laber
5 Likes

Thanks. Now, what if I wanted to use a C library functions e.g. puts?
e.g.

func foo () {
puts ("abcef".UTF8String)
}

In the case of puts, it's in the C standard library, so you should be able to import the C standard library module for your platform (import Darwin on Apple platforms, or import Glibc on Linux). You can also pass Swift string literals directly as C char* arguments:

import Glibc

func foo() {
  puts("abcef")
}

Another possibility is to include stdio in laber.h:

#include <stdio.h>

You could also import it from Foundation. Either with import Foundation or import func Foundation.puts, then you don't have to worry about which platform you're on.

Terms of Service

Privacy Policy

Cookie Policy