- @tachyonics @ktoso @adam-fowler and @0xTim to continue shared middleware library meetings
- @0xTim to post on forums about demand for stable RPMs to get some traction (carry over)
- @tomerd to ping Mishal about this PR . (carry over)
- @tomerd will bring up proposal for swift tools group at a core team meeting when it happens (carry over)
- @ktoso chase up core team on backtrace support for ARM.
- @0xTim investigate how .NET container is built and see if we can replicate.
- @tomerd, @fabianfett provide update on Swift Lambda Runtime release schedule
- @patrick: post Swiftly design doc to forums
- @0xTim to investigate Canonical .NET container building
Previous Action Items:
- Shared Middleware library: @tachyonics @ktoso and @0xTim meeting. Met up again, and plan to meet next week. Not much work done these last two weeks but looking promising
- @0xTim working out what else is missing from crypto apis. There is a PR up for Add API providing basic RSA pubkey encrypt and privkey decrypt by gwynne · Pull Request #125 · apple/swift-crypto · GitHub to be used in mysql-nio. jwt-kit needs a couple of things, still to be listed and NIOSSL requires a lot of work. Discussion can be found here Migrate Crypto Dependencies to Swift Crypto · Issue #382 · apple/swift-nio-ssl · GitHub
- @0xTim to collect missing APIs list and we can then put it forward to Foundation team. Issue added to swift-corelibs-foundation repo. Missing APIs in CoreLibs Foundation · Issue #4619 · apple/swift-corelibs-foundation · GitHub
- @tomerd will deprecate and archive the old guides repository: GitHub - swift-server/guides: Guides for building, debugging and deploying Swift Server applications. This has been done by @0xTim.
- @0xTim will prepare mini blog post about guides moving to the site. PR is up for blog post.
- @0xTim to post on forums about demand for stable RPMs to get some traction. Still to do be done
@tomerd @ktoso and others at apple moving projects to docc right now. This is in progress many repos are done. The eventual plan is to have Swift Package Index to host these.
@tomerd will bring up proposal for swift tools group at a core team meeting when it happens. @0xTim posted forum thread Pitch - Swift Tooling Workgroup
Backtrace support on ARM
Now that there are official arm docker images, it seems appropriate to also have…
- @0xTim: there is no backtrace support on ARM. Had a look at implementing but got quite complex and low-level so backed away. There was an Android PR but that never got merged as it used a fairly large additional library.
- @ktoso: Core team have it is on their list of thing to look at, I will chase them up for an update.
- Should GraphQL be proposed as a SSWG package. General agreement was yes
- @Adam-fowler: should the Graphiti package be part of the proposal. Graphiti makes writing schema a lot easier.
- @ktoso will be review manager
Swift-log Sendable conformance breaking changes
- Swift-log v1.4.3 adds Sendable conformance to many of it types. Unfortunately it also included a breaking change that broke some projects using Swift 5.6
- @ktoso this has been fixed and released in v1.4.4
Make swift-quic an official and recommended SSWG project.
- @ktoso: Project is probably not ready to be considered. There is a lot to do before it is complete
- @ktoso: Not sure whether they plan to use quiche or not
- @ktoso: NIO don't have time to do implementation currently and it is not a current priority
.NET6 in Ubuntu available in Canonical chisel containers
- @0xTim Canonical have developed a new chisel approach for making ultra-small container images. Their Ubuntu image is 100MB smaller than the standard Ubuntu image. Could we work with Canonical to do something similar for Swift.
.NET outdated command
- @0xTim .NET has an outdated command which runs a dry-run of an update. Is there something like this available for Swift?
- @tachyonics, @patrick NPM and Cargo both have something similar
- Update post meeting: @0xTim it is already available
swift package update --dry-run
- @0xTim ask core team what is the goal for swift-corelibs-foundation.
- @ktoso Is there a plan to make sure it doesn't get out of date.
- @0xTim At Swift 5.4 everything was in quite a good state, but since 5.5 which included many changes it hasn't kept up to date at all.
Swift Lambda runtime
- @davmoser: Is there going to be an imminent 1.0 release. Is it stable now? Can we send people to the repo with the confidence that there aren't massive changes planned for it.
- @0xTim: Vapor are using it but are using the main branch and not a labelled release as the async/await interfaces are not available in a labelled release
@davmoser: @kmahar has said they want to use it internally at MongoDB to test their drivers on Lambda.
Neither @tomerd or @fabianfett were at the meeting to provide update.
API Gateway code generator using Swift Plugins
- @tachyonics: We are close to releasing code for generating API Gateways interface code using Swift build plugins. Is this something people would be interested in hearing about? Would a guide be helpful.
- @0xTim: Yes, this would be a great swift.org blog post
- @Adam-fowler: This is a great example of using swift build plugins