@AppStorage/SceneStorage breaks view equality?

I believe that the use of @AppStorage or @SceneStorage is causing view equality to fail in a way that @State does not. This is unexpected and can lead to much unneeded computation and wasted cycles.

Comments?

import SwiftUI

struct InnerView: View {
    // Using @State, the toggle starts at false whenever you start the app.
    // Using @AppStorage can let the app remember what the value of the toggle was.
    // But if we comment out the @State version and uncomment the @AppStorage
    // version, now we are hit by excessive recomputation.
    @State var initialValue = false

// If you comment out the above @State variable and uncomment the @AppStorage
    // version below, although the starting toggle state is preserved, we have a serious issue:
    // the function someText() is called while dragging the slider in ContentView.
    // I believe that view equality on InnerView is failing due to the AppStorage
    // property wrapper in a way it does not for the State property wrapper.

//@AppStorage("initialValue") var initialValue = false

func someText() -> String {
        print("someText called: \(Date())")
        return "Blah"
    }

var body: some View {
        VStack {
            Toggle("Toggle: ", isOn: $initialValue)
            Text(someText())
        }
    }
}

struct ContentView: View {
    @State var sliderValue = 0.0

VStack {
            Slider(value: $sliderValue)
            InnerView()
        }.padding()

}
}
1 Like

Something strange, if you add _printChanges():

let _ = Self._printChanges()
        VStack {
            Toggle("Toggle: ", isOn: $initialValue)
            Text(someText())
        }
    }

It show @self is the change, not initialValue.

I have not heard of _printChanges() but it sounds extremely useful! What exactly does it tell me?

2 Likes

This looks extremely useful. Thanks for sharing for those of us who are not on Twitter.

Interestingly by searching for "_printChanges" on Apple site I found there is a SwiftUI Q&A session tomorrow Dec 14. You'd need to register to join it.

PS. I believe we need a place dedicated to swiftUI questions. More alive than developer.apple.com/forums, something like this discourse forum but dedicated to swiftUI. I can see a few categories here in "Related Projects", quite a few with just a few messages there and but SwiftUI is not one of the categories. Could we establish SwiftUI as one of the subcategories of this forum?

Terms of Service

Privacy Policy

Cookie Policy