Add a `clamp` function to Algorithm.swift

I really like this proposal, and think that it does have a place in Swift 4. Two quick notes in light of the discussion: first, I think it should be called clamped, not clamp; second, I think it should only take ClosedRange. More on those later, but first I'll respond to the six questions raised by Xiaodi.

1. Is it truly a frequent operation?

I think so. I've certainly wished for it on an occasion or two. I settle for min(upper, max(lower, value)).

2. Is the helper more readable? Is the composed equivalent obvious at a glance?

Definitely (or I imagine it will be once we get the details figured out). There are two equivalent forms of the min-max version, the other being max(lower, min(upper, value)), not to mention the commutativity of the arguments themselves. I am under the impression that Swift is not a big fan of having multiple equivalent ways to do the same thing — that was part of the reason ++ was nixed. value.clamp(to: closedRange) is clear and is not interchangeable with any one thing in the language.

3. Does the helper have the flexibility to cover all common cases?

I see three cases: value < lower, lower <= value <= upper, and upper < value. All are covered.

4. Is there a correctness trap with the composed equivalent? Is there a correctness trap with the helper?

I don't think so, if we limit to ClosedRange.

5. Is there a performance trap with the composed equivalent? Or with the helper?

I don't know, is there a significant cost associated to constructing a ClosedRange solely for the purpose of using its bounds? I would imagine not, but someone who knows more about Swift can answer.

6. Does the helper actually encourage misuse?

I don't see how, if we limit its argument to ClosedRange.

Going back to my earlier points — I think that to keep things in line with Swift's naming conventions, this function should be called clamped, as it returns a modified version of the calling object. Alternatively, we could follow the standard set by other numeric types and provide the non-mutating clamped and the mutating clamp, like multiplied/multiply for Double.

Finally, I don't think it makes mathematical sense to clamp to a non-closed range. Refer back to the original definition proposed, `min(upperBound, max(lowerBound, value))`. ClosedRange was proposed as a convenience for providing those bounds. This makes sense because a ClosedRange contains its bounds. Since (mathematical) non-closed ranges don't contain their bounds, it doesn't make sense to use a non-closed range to provide those bounds.

Also, the above notwithstanding, I have a hard time figuring out when you would actually want to constrain a number to be strictly less than an upper bound, violating Question 1 above. If this behavior were really desired, better to be explicit and subtract the appropriate delta — 1 for Int, Double.epsilon (or whatever it's called) for Double. I definitely foresee a correctness trap with the non-closed Range.

Another reason not to allow half-open ranges is because of their asymmetry. Half open ranges are only open at their upper end, so you would have the ability to open-clamp from above but not from below. Seems arbitrary (see Question 3).

I really like this proposal, and think that it does have a place in Swift 4. Two quick notes in light of the discussion: first, I think it should be called clamped, not clamp; second, I think it should only take ClosedRange. More on those later, but first I'll respond to the six questions raised by Xiaodi.

I think so. I've certainly wished for it on an occasion or two. I settle for min(upper, max(lower, value)).

Definitely (or I imagine it will be once we get the details figured out). There are two equivalent forms of the min-max version, the other being max(lower, min(upper, value)), not to mention the commutativity of the arguments themselves. I am under the impression that Swift is not a big fan of having multiple equivalent ways to do the same thing — that was part of the reason ++ was nixed. value.clamp(to: closedRange) is clear and is not interchangeable with any one thing in the language.

I see three cases: value < lower, lower <= value <= upper, and upper < value. All are covered.

4. Is there a correctness trap with the composed equivalent? Is there a correctness trap with the helper?

5. Is there a performance trap with the composed equivalent? Or with the helper?

I don't know, is there a significant cost associated to constructing a ClosedRange solely for the purpose of using its bounds? I would imagine not, but someone who knows more about Swift can answer.

Going back to my earlier points — I think that to keep things in line with Swift's naming conventions, this function should be called clamped, as it returns a modified version of the calling object. Alternatively, we could follow the standard set by other numeric types and provide the non-mutating clamped and the mutating clamp, like multiplied/multiply for Double.

Finally, I don't think it makes mathematical sense to clamp to a non-closed range. Refer back to the original definition proposed, `min(upperBound, max(lowerBound, value))`. ClosedRange was proposed as a convenience for providing those bounds. This makes sense because a ClosedRange contains its bounds. Since (mathematical) non-closed ranges don't contain their bounds, it doesn't make sense to use a non-closed range to provide those bounds.

I think open ranges should be supported, but not for all `Comparable` types. It would however be reasonable to support it for types with discrete ordered values, all `Integer` types for example. I think we might be able to provide it for `T: Strideable where T.Stride: Integer` even. We definitely cannot provide it for all types though; it’s nonsensical to clamp a real value to a closed range.

Also, the above notwithstanding, I have a hard time figuring out when you would actually want to constrain a number to be strictly less than an upper bound, violating Question 1 above. If this behavior were really desired, better to be explicit and subtract the appropriate delta — 1 for Int, Double.epsilon (or whatever it's called) for Double. I definitely foresee a correctness trap with the non-closed Range.

Another reason not to allow half-open ranges is because of their asymmetry. Half open ranges are only open at their upper end, so you would have the ability to open-clamp from above but not from below. Seems arbitrary (see Question 3).

We already have this asymmetry. Adding a clamp function doesn’t worsen it. Besides, we have half-open [above] ranges because they are useful for indices:

`arr[idx.clamped(to: arr.startIndex..<arr.endIndex)`

We can even write this!

`arr[idx.clamped(to: arr.indices)]`

This seems like a useful enough feature to consider it IMO.

···

On Mar 10, 2017, at 8:04 PM, Robert Bennett via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

I can't argue with that. I guess I was really only opposed to using the half-open range for Double and other theoretically non-discrete types, for the reasons I listed. I have no objections to clamping with a half-open Integer range; I just hadn't considered further restricting the Bound of the Range in use. arr[idx.clamped(to: arr.indices)] looks amazing.

···

On Mar 11, 2017, at 12:29 AM, Jaden Geller <jaden.geller@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mar 10, 2017, at 8:04 PM, Robert Bennett via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

I think open ranges should be supported, but not for all `Comparable` types. It would however be reasonable to support it for types with discrete ordered values, all `Integer` types for example. I think we might be able to provide it for `T: Strideable where T.Stride: Integer` even. We definitely cannot provide it for all types though; it’s nonsensical to clamp a real value to a closed range.

We already have this asymmetry. Adding a clamp function doesn’t worsen it. Besides, we have half-open [above] ranges because they are useful for indices:

We can even write this!

Hi, I think a func such as clamped would be helpful. to be frank, I had
made some mistakes when trying to compose min and max correctly.

Robert Bennett via swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org>于2017年3月11日周六
下午1:35写道:

···

I can't argue with that. I guess I was really only opposed to using the
half-open range for Double and other theoretically non-discrete types, for
the reasons I listed. I have no objections to clamping with a half-open
Integer range; I just hadn't considered further restricting the Bound of
the Range in use. arr[idx.clamped(to: arr.indices)] looks amazing.

On Mar 11, 2017, at 12:29 AM, Jaden Geller <jaden.geller@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mar 10, 2017, at 8:04 PM, Robert Bennett via swift-evolution < > swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

I really like this proposal, and think that it does have a place in Swift
4. Two quick notes in light of the discussion: first, I think it should be
called clamped, not clamp; second, I think it should only take ClosedRange.
More on those later, but first I'll respond to the six questions raised by
Xiaodi.

I think so. I've certainly wished for it on an occasion or two. I settle
for min(upper, max(lower, value)).

2. Is the helper more readable? Is the composed equivalent obvious at a
glance?

Definitely (or I imagine it will be once we get the details figured out).
There are two equivalent forms of the min-max version, the other being
max(lower, min(upper, value)), not to mention the commutativity of the
arguments themselves. I am under the impression that Swift is not a big fan
of having multiple equivalent ways to do the same thing — that was part of
the reason ++ was nixed. value.clamp(to: closedRange) is clear and is not
interchangeable with any one thing in the language.

I see three cases: value < lower, lower <= value <= upper, and upper <
value. All are covered.

4. Is there a correctness trap with the composed equivalent? Is there a
correctness trap with the helper?

5. Is there a performance trap with the composed equivalent? Or with the
helper?

I don't know, is there a significant cost associated to constructing a
ClosedRange solely for the purpose of using its bounds? I would imagine
not, but someone who knows more about Swift can answer.

Going back to my earlier points — I think that to keep things in line with
Swift's naming conventions, this function should be called clamped, as it
returns a modified version of the calling object. Alternatively, we could
follow the standard set by other numeric types and provide the non-mutating
clamped and the mutating clamp, like multiplied/multiply for Double.

Finally, I don't think it makes mathematical sense to clamp to a
non-closed range. Refer back to the original definition proposed,
`min(upperBound, max(lowerBound, value))`. ClosedRange was proposed as a
convenience for providing those bounds. This makes sense because a
ClosedRange contains its bounds. Since (mathematical) non-closed ranges
don't contain their bounds, it doesn't make sense to use a non-closed range
to provide those bounds.

I think open ranges should be supported, but not for all `Comparable`
types. It would however be reasonable to support it for types with discrete
ordered values, all `Integer` types for example. I think we might be able
to provide it for `T: Strideable where T.Stride: Integer` even. We
definitely cannot provide it for all types though; it’s nonsensical to
clamp a real value to a closed range.

Also, the above notwithstanding, I have a hard time figuring out when you
would actually want to constrain a number to be strictly less than an upper
bound, violating Question 1 above. If this behavior were really desired,
better to be explicit and subtract the appropriate delta — 1 for Int,
Double.epsilon (or whatever it's called) for Double. I definitely foresee a
correctness trap with the non-closed Range.

Another reason not to allow half-open ranges is because of their
asymmetry. Half open ranges are only open at their upper end, so you would
have the ability to open-clamp from above but not from below. Seems
arbitrary (see Question 3).

We already have this asymmetry. Adding a clamp function doesn’t worsen it.
Besides, we have half-open [above] ranges because they are useful for
indices:

We can even write this!